PDA

View Full Version : Q7 Tyre wear

Caiman Inks
17-05-2008, 10:35 PM
Hi

Please can someone tell me where i stand with Audi regarding tyre wear on my Q7. I have done 5800 miles only and the wear on the 2 front tyres outer edge is terrible. The rest of the tyre is like new as are the rear 2.

Please let me know. Thanks

Quacker
18-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Try swapping front to back before its too late. Your wear rate looks good to me. All four of my tyres are worn out every 10,000 to 12,000 miles.
If you are near an Audi dealer get the alignment checked and adjusted. You really should not have to pay for this. I had to pay!

damilne6
02-06-2008, 02:25 PM
Hi

Please can someone tell me where i stand with Audi regarding tyre wear on my Q7. I have done 5800 miles only and the wear on the 2 front tyres outer edge is terrible. The rest of the tyre is like new as are the rear 2.

Just got mine replaced free by Audi. 9900 miles and absolutely bare on outer edge of n/s front, o/s front 75% worn.

Audi said it was a goodwill gesture - no quibbles when I took it in.
Also said it was a one off but if these do the same they will get constant hassles from owners.

kevspi
04-06-2008, 03:57 PM
I saw a Q7 with it's entire rear nearside tyre hanging off the rim on the A1 yesterday. It was a 57 plate. Not sure what could of caused so much damage. I'm sure this isn't related to this thread but thought i'd mention it.

a8 tech
04-06-2008, 04:10 PM
Info that you may not receive at the dealership.

Fact up to 15000 miles Audi offer goodwill.
Fact the wheel alignment is set for sporty driving style.
Fact tyre pressure are rarely checked.
Tip set them to full load and set the suspension to dynamic for longer life.
Some audi dealers will offer 2 solutions to the one off goodwill gesture.
1 replace all the tyres.
2 carry out the wheel alignment check.
There are no plans from Audi UK/Germany to alter any settings of the steering.
There will be no recall.
There is no fault,there is however a lot of misunderstanding about Q7 tyre wear and there shouldn't be.
Its simple there are few 4 X 4 vehicles to compare the handling and driving experience of the q7 and tyre wear is a cause of 2 tones driving like half a tone.
Thats all ill say on it,but expect tyre wear and get your one off goodwill gesture as this is Audi saying here you go will change them this time but this is how it will be and expect high running costs with this variation of sports tractor.
I have customer with varying mileages with tyre wear,from 6000 to 15000 but on average its between 9000 and 12000.

Also even after correction of the camber (that's the variable that causes tyre wear on this vehicle)the outer edges still scuff.

No offence,but there is no magic solution just good explanations and cheaper tyres.

Joe richardson
12-11-2008, 11:45 PM
Q7's suffer from really bad tyre wear,nearly all q7's i have seen,The outer edge on the tyres are very worn !

Q7's drive very well and dont lean over round corners like alot of other big 4x4's do,they drive like a normal car.

also the tyres (Toyo f1's) i think they are correct me if im wrong,are very soft aswell which doesn't help.

cheers
Joe

joakes
28-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Hello, I too am having the problem with tyre wear. How did you get on with your Audi Centre? Did they change your first set of tyres?:(

damilne6
30-03-2009, 07:33 AM
Yes, Audi dealer replaced front tyres at 9990 miles no question - 10k was the cutoff for 100% dealer contrubution. They did a tracking test and said everything was OK but the new ones are 6k old and not showing signs of wear on the outside so I suspect they did something. They did not replace the back tyres and the wear on the outside settled and they lasted 15k

joakes
30-03-2009, 09:10 AM
Hello, Thanks for your reply. Was this recently, or a while ago? I took my car to the local Audi Centre this morning and they told me if the car is over 6000 miles, the contribution is 50% only, (Mine done 9000) and the expected tyre wear from Audi is now only 6-12000. They also recomend that tyres are to be changed in full sets to prevent further tyre wear and handling issues. This could result in me having 3 sets a year. Seems a bit harsh for a £50k car..

joakes
30-03-2009, 09:32 AM
Just to have a further rant, having not been satisfied with the dealers answer, I spoke with Audi customer care, who told me that Audi will pay for a steering tgeometry check, but only if the customer agrees to pay for a full set of tyres to be fitted prior to the geometry check. Has any one heard of this?

damilne6
30-03-2009, 10:06 AM
Admittedly this was 9 months ago. But they must be having a laugh if they expect tyre wear to be as low as 12k. I would hold out for better deal.
I replaced the rears with Continentals but I checked with the Audi dealership on mixing treads and they were OK with different ones on front and back.

Jam Man
31-03-2009, 12:43 AM
My original Goodyear Eagle F1 20" tyres wore out at about 18k.

I replaced with Hankook Ventus and have now covered over 45k on them.

Yes it's mostly motorway miles but there's still 3-4mm left on them. I've swapped fronts & rears to get maximum life but I would honestly recommend them to anyone doing motorway high mileage in a Q7.

The grip in the dry is not as good as the Goodyears but you don't exactly buy a Q7 to go throwing it into corners like a nutter..... do you?

(car is now on 72k, but I did 7-8k on Winter tyres)

info@weldingcut
11-05-2009, 04:47 PM
I bought my Q7 4.2 S line June 07. I am on my 3rd set of tyres. First set changed at 9K free of charge by Cardiff Audi without hesitation or discussion. 2nd set changed at 19K I had to pay for those (although I found AUDI CARdiff to be the cheapest place to buy the 4 Tyres). Absolutely no problems with dealership they are always excellent.

Quacker
12-05-2009, 12:53 AM
I bought my Q7 4.2 S line June 07. I am on my 3rd set of tyres. First set changed at 9K free of charge by Cardiff Audi without hesitation or discussion. 2nd set changed at 19K I had to pay for those (although I found AUDI CARdiff to be the cheapest place to buy the 4 Tyres). Absolutely no problems with dealership they are always excellent.

Oddly, I made my first visit to Cardiff Audi, and the Mercedes dealer next door, last thursday evening as a group of friends and I called in to that nice pub at Cardiff Gate for a meal on the way back from Somerset.
I was impressed with its modernity, its size and its stock. Q7's seem to be ten a penny in the Cardiff area or so my daughter, who is at University there, says.

Have you raised the tyre pressure to at least 40psi? Have you used a budget brand with a harder rubber compound? Its worked for me.

First two sets lasted about 10,000 miles each set while the current budget tyres run at higher pressure are now at 15,000 miles and could indeed last 20,000 miles at half the cost per tyre or 1.6ppmile compared with a ridiculous 6ppmile previously, both plus VAT.

info@weldingcut
12-05-2009, 09:10 AM
I was given the option of budget tyres when I changed the last set but was told the grip suffered and there was more road noise. I was told this by the dealer principle who I have known for more years than Eithe of us care to admit, so I kept with the branded set. I havent increased the pressure to 40psi but I will do that later. Also, I have se the supsension to dynamic as advised by a previous thread.

I will let you know how I get on.

By the way, the owners of Cardiff Audi also own the Bristol & Bath Audi Dealerships.
I found them to have an excellent business ethos very customer friendly.

Info

Quacker
12-05-2009, 05:24 PM
My particular budget tyres don't give noticably less grip but I don't track race the thing. They are slightly more noisy at 100mph but not below.
Mine are Maxxis Maurauder and I suspect others will be different. I wanted Kumho at the time but they were out of stock. No regrets. Exactly the opposite in fact as I am no fan of paying over the odds for big brands that give inferior service.

info@weldingcut
13-05-2009, 09:16 AM
Hi Quacker

100MPH!!!!!!!!! Obviously you reached this speed on a private road, not on Motorways surely!!.

I will try the budget tyres next time and let you know how I get on.

On a slightly different thread, my Insurance is up soon so I decided to try the Chris Knott agency and when I told them the value of the car they said that the could not come anywhere near the quote I had received from M&S and an even cheaper one from Zurich.

Regards

Info

Jam Man
04-06-2009, 01:31 AM
My Hankook Ventus are just about done one the rears now after 48k miles (were previously on the front initially)

I always run above 40psi, mostly motorway as said before but to me this is still a good return for the size and weight of the vehicle.

Got a part worn set of Goodyear Eagle F1's to go on next so will see how they go in comparison. (although the DTE Tuning box that's also going on may have an effect! :D )

(Also insured with Zurich with business use included and couldn't find better...)

auditekjim
04-06-2009, 06:47 PM
If you take your audi q7 now to an Audi dealer they can update the software for the susspention. Whith helps to stop tyre wear :D

a8 tech
04-06-2009, 10:25 PM
correct,the svm action lowers the suspension to dynamic mode at a lower speed

Sian2607
12-06-2009, 01:05 PM
Just to say had my q7 for 2 years now, first set replaced by audi at 7k miles as part of the purchase (bought car at 6k) Needed a new set at 12k miles with excessive wear on outer edge. Audi paid 50% of tyres but charged £180 for wheel alignment. New tyres were Dunlop SP Sportmax lasted 12k miles (chuffed to bits) then had a set of Pirelli P Rosso Zero fitted and only lasted 4.5k miles,Audi pretty much said F off! go figure.
Wheels are 21" RS 7 Spokes Tyres 295/35/21 at £235 a throw.
Just decided to Upgrade to a 22" RS from Wheelbase with Toyos 285/35/22 for £1395 a set for wheels and tyres. Tyres work out about £130 ish, with bargain tyres for about £110?

coconut
14-06-2009, 03:18 AM
Hi

there is a new software update at the moment (if you go to audi) wich will lower the suspension and adapt it at 50 miles per hour and used to be at 60 and also put new tyres on it and do a tracking in the same time! Audi are very confident with this new update

philipkjenkins
14-06-2009, 01:47 PM
I am fitting a replacement wing mirror on the drivers side - I have fitted the new casement and I am experiencing problems deciding which way to fix the wires to the casement that are attached to the mirror - any ideas ?

Jam Man
15-06-2009, 08:52 AM
Quick update:

The car had it's MOT last week at 80k miles and the dealer gave the tyres the thumbs up with 4mm stated on the sheet!

So to conclude, over 50k miles on this set and still going....:D

PPA
24-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Have had my Q7 from new (07 plate), with 27,000 miles on the clock.
Am about to fit the fourth set of tyres to the front due to the excessive wear to the inside edge of both tyres. Been back to Audi due to noise and vibration on steering. Audi replaced steering fluid and said this should do the trick but as far as tyre wear is concerned, they say this is normal....
Any comments?:confused:

Jam Man
26-06-2009, 12:12 AM
Yes, lose the Goodyears!

CHRISQ7
26-12-2009, 11:35 AM
My original Goodyear Eagle F1 20" tyres wore out at about 18k.

I replaced with Hankook Ventus and have now covered over 45k on them.

Yes it's mostly motorway miles but there's still 3-4mm left on them. I've swapped fronts & rears to get maximum life but I would honestly recommend them to anyone doing motorway high mileage in a Q7.

The grip in the dry is not as good as the Goodyears but you don't exactly buy a Q7 to go throwing it into corners like a nutter..... do you?

(car is now on 72k, but I did 7-8k on Winter tyres)
Dear JAM MAN,

What winter tyres would you reccomend?

Kind regards,

Chris

Jam Man
01-01-2010, 07:11 PM
I managed to get a set of 18" wheels with tyres off a Touareg V10 from Ebay Germany for £150 back in 2006.

Quick trip through the tunnel to Dusseldorf, there & back in a day.

They are Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow 255 55 18 109V

Now on for the third year and helped me out a lot in the last couple of weeks.

They don't look anything like as good as the 20's but worth the sacrifice for 8 weeks or so IMHO.

Sportingmac
01-01-2010, 10:16 PM
For winter tyres I run Vredestein Wintrac Extreme - 275/45 20inch - absolutely brilliant in the current weather conditions - I have been 'off -road' twice in poor winter conditions with the Goodyears.

Cost £180 each fitted from The Tyremen of Hull

CHRISQ7
10-01-2010, 11:18 PM
Thanks chaps for the advice

info@weldingcut
06-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Hi Caiman inks

I am on my 4th set of tyres (Q7 4.2TDI S LINE), 1st set replaced F.O.C. after only 6k miles 2nd & 3rd set lasted around 9k. First three sets were the same brand that where fitted when I purchased car, latest set is a budget alternative. The wear is better although the handling is different and also a little more road noise.
Adjusting the suspension setting as suggested by a8 Tech helps.
As far as pricing is concerned, our local Audi dealer (Cardiff Audi) were as competitive as anyone else if not more so.

Hope this helps

allroadkev
23-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Is there a name for the software update that lowers the suspension at a lower speed, as I have '07 q7 going to audi soon, and can I check if its been done?

A8 tech seems to know his onions on this, can you help please.

a8 tech
23-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Hi I will dig out the document and post the repair details

a8 tech
24-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Is there a name for the software update that lowers the suspension at a lower speed, as I have '07 q7 going to audi soon, and can I check if its been done?

A8 tech seems to know his onions on this, can you help please.
Here you go

SVM code 4L34A003

Vehicle lowers from Off Road to Automatic at 80kmh (50mph). Previously this happened at 100kmh (62mph)When the vehicle lowers to Automatic, it remains at this level and does not return to Off Road at 70kmh (43mph) as it did previously.

The svm code is run via vas online connection at your dealer and its applicable pre 2009.
2009 onwards already support the new setting

Regards A8

allroadkev
24-05-2010, 09:26 PM
thank you kindly