PDA

View Full Version : VAG warranty - cambelt.

kje
17-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Hi all,

02 Passat 1.8t 12 month used warranty is about to expire. The book is stamped as 'Toothed belt changed' last May at 33k miles, all VW history.

I'm mentally prepared to get into cambelt changes having read many threads.

Would you leave it for the remaining 3 years/40k miles or do it now? Would a VW dealer just tick the service book (cambelt) knowing that it would be sold soon and off their hands? The fact the coolant was not pink G12 makes me wonder about them.

Cheers.

Thinking further - how about going to the 'service position' and just inspecting it?

stevegrass777
18-05-2008, 09:09 AM
I would just inspect it if its been marked down as done.
I have also seen service book marked as toothed belt changed.
It just makes it clear.
I can't see the main dealer committing fraud just for the sake of a belt change.

Ross 1.8T
18-05-2008, 10:54 PM
I would just inspect it if its been marked down as done.
I have also seen service book marked as toothed belt changed.
It just makes it clear.
I can't see the main dealer committing fraud just for the sake of a belt change.

I can quite easily see the main dealer committing fraud for a saving of £100 in parts and 4 hours labour. Very easily indeed.

Trust them with nothing. At the end of the day, ink on a page in a book means nothing.

Paul 93
22-05-2008, 08:58 PM
Hi,

I bought my used 2001 Passat a few years ago from VW in Crewe with a 12 month warranty, asked them for a full service print out for the car, they were happy to oblige. It was amazing to see what parts they had changed under warranty/before I picked it up-should have known better, the car is still a bag of sh**e.