PDA

View Full Version : Towbar woes

sidemoor
17-05-2008, 11:03 AM
Ordered a 2.0TDi SE back in Feb, standard spec apart from cruise control and towbar. Supposed to be delivered yesterday but Newbury Audi rang 3 days before to say that they had the car ready but hadn't put a towbar on because 'it isn't available yet'.

After checking with Audi customer services they said it's not yet on the accessories list because Audi haven't finished testing it. It may take 'up to a month or more'.

So frustrating, now I don't know how long I'll be waiting :boggled:

bonerpart1
08-06-2008, 08:16 AM
Hi is there any other towbar suppliers you can try you may save some money

a4tony
01-08-2008, 02:20 PM
I have a new a4 and have had a brink towbar fitted with a wesfalia electric kit, the electric kit does not talk to the cars ecu's causing the esp not to function and flattens the battery after 8 hours, so far Westfalia, 2 Audi dealers and Audi UK have been unable to sort out the problems. The Westfalia kit has been developed in conjunction with Audi and they tell me that this is the kit supplyed to Audi.
I heve been told of horrer stories that the early (PostMarch08) A4s have a locked down Ecu that will not allow the fitment of any aftermarket kit and the cooloing system is not up to towing. I am currently waiting for further news from Audi
The car does by the way tow my 16' van extreemly well.
I would love to hear of any other similar experiences

Tony

veedubbora07tdi
01-08-2008, 09:19 PM
**** happens lad!

sidemoor
10-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Mine is a Brink towbar as well (judging by the towball cover), not sure about the electrics though.
When the car was delivered there were a couple of wiring faults (no 'van lights working with ignition off, and taillights came on whenever brake lights were on) - but these were later rectified.
Interesting about the ESP - I have noticed the wheels spin a couple of times (on loose gravel) and thought that ESP was supposed to stop this happening - so maybe I have this problem too.
I haven't experienced a flat battery - I think the longest I've left the car unused for is 42 hours.
We only have a folding camper - approx 750kg - the A4 tows it brilliantly.
Would be keen to know if Audi say any more about this. I'd be worried if the ESP really isn't working. Is there any way to 'prove' this?

a4tony
20-08-2008, 01:30 PM
When the towbar module is connected the esp light stays on and the esp switch has no effect.

Tony

sidemoor
06-09-2008, 04:50 PM
I'm now getting 'low battery' warnings every morning when I start the car - looks like I may have the same problem after all. I'll see what my local dealer can do.
a4tony, did you get your problems rectified?

swivelonit
08-11-2008, 02:07 PM
Hello everybody, I am new to the Audi world and have had my car for 2 months A4 Avant 2.0 Tdi. I specified a tow bar at time of order and a Westfalia was fitted, very good it is too! The only thing is that I asked for a supplementary socket for a caravan, this I was charged for but when I have used it nothing in the caravan works! I went back to Audi and they dropped the bomb and told me that Audi do not specify an auxillary wiring kit just towing lights! I have been asked for a further £500 for the dealer to cobble something together to make it do what I want but they will not offer a warranty for it! A bit crap when I paid £595 + vat for the so called tow pack I specified at time of order. Has anybody else been robbed by there dealer?

Jamie

peter cresswell
09-11-2008, 01:55 PM
I have fitted around 2 dozen toebars in the past and only once been defeated by electrics.

I use a seven way relay for lighting. This is separate from the car and powers the trailer directly from the battery.

This relay has been used on a %% rwg Focus Ghia with ECU's etc and a new vectra with bells and whistles with no adverse effects.

I am about to add it to my 54 reg golf TDI.

I also use a supplementary socket relay that is powered from the battery directly by 2 30 amp wires. This reduces power drop off due to wire length.

so there are two wires in amd two wires out to the relevant pins on the 12 s socket. I dont know how this ting works, but it can tell if the van is plugged in to the car and only then does power flow to the socket.

I have never had any battery issues.

The car relay came with some instructions that gave wiring details to avboid upsetting the cars for those that need it.

I cant remember the cost, but I am mean, so it must have been reasonable!!

If you want to know more email me and I will dig out the instructions etc.

The two items came from Indespension Norwich branch.

regards

peter