PDA

View Full Version : Why are people buying the A4?

kevspi
16-05-2008, 01:37 PM
I’m intrigued why people on this forum are buying the new A4 over the A5? Is it like me because mine is a company car and the A5 would look too flash when I turn up in customer’s car park, is it for practicality reasons or the most obvious reason cost? It’s just that after all the extras that most people seem to buy on this forum are added onto the list price of an A4 you could get into an A5 1.8t. I’d love an A5 but my boss has said I should have an A4, but at least it’s the S Line model which looks great (steve1234 photos). Any thoughts?

browellm
16-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Similar to you, we do not have coupes on our company car list.

I *love* the A5, by the way.

mkc
16-05-2008, 02:42 PM
We have the lower spec A5 on the company car list but the reason Ive gone for the A4 is due to having a 20 month old daughter and the need for getting in and out of the back. So four door is a must. I only do 6K miles a year to and from work and its sat in the garage at home or in the car park at work during the day.

We have a 3 door A3 and a BMW 1 Series 5 door. I would love a 130 M Sport but the back of the BMW is so small and the doors do not open that wide, trying to get a child into a baby seat is a pain for the whole family. The A3 is fine once we are in the back but getting in and out with the wide door is a pain. So going for the A4 over the A5 was a reason related to having a child, not because I didnt want one. So the BMW will be going and we will use the A3 now and then or maybe change for a Sportback when the time comes around for the Mrs to change her company car.

MalcQV
16-05-2008, 02:44 PM
Maybe they are considered a little less practical as a company car. Just heard an old work colleague of mine from a few years ago has just got an A5 1.8TFSI doins. He is an IT manager so I guess it is a company car or an allowance. He had a A4 1.8T cab before.

HighwayTG
16-05-2008, 03:14 PM
my company allows just about any car on their company car list ... but I need the practicality of 4 doors and a large boot.

RichardCranium
16-05-2008, 03:28 PM
We not allowed to have coupes or 3 doors.

I've always wanted an Audi. It was between the A3 Sportback Sline and the A4 SE for me. Went for the A4 cos its bigger and newer. New A3 model out later this year, and didnt want an old spec for the next 3yrs.

Oh and the wife didnt like the A3's dashboard etc. Nicer seats though

cesc
16-05-2008, 03:41 PM
The A5 is a nice looking car, my uncle has a 3.0 TDI Sport in black and it gets looks wherever he goes. Felt a bit uneasy at traffic lights when I was driving it, with everyone staring.

It is however, very impractical, the rear legroom's not so bad, but the headroom is terrible with the sweeping roofline. I guess this is the main reason why people choose A4's over A5's. The poverty spec A4's look terrible though, so dull.

RichardCranium
16-05-2008, 06:55 PM
i reckon there'll be a lot of the bottom end A4's hitting the road before too long. All from fleet companies supplying (posh) rep mobiles

AndyH123
16-05-2008, 07:07 PM
I actually prefer the look of the A4 over the A5. For my money it's a bit too sweepy over the top.

moptisam2
17-05-2008, 05:52 AM
As my A4 will be a private purchase, I can choose what I like.

If there was a 2.0 TDI available I probably would buy the A5, but the extra base price, and the significantly lower fuel consumption, means I'm happy with the A4.

AndyE66
17-05-2008, 02:06 PM
Originally looking at an A4 but I did have a look round for an A5 1.8 TFSI. I couldn't find one which didn't have loads of unwanted extras and couldn't wait until October/November for a factory order, so decided to stick with plan A. Might look at an A5 when I change but perfectly happy with the A4 :biglaugh:

Satch
18-05-2008, 11:18 AM
Four doors big boot that's it.:D

steve1234
18-05-2008, 08:34 PM
Although mine is a company car we don't have a list, just a budget. I'd have loved an A5 but there's no 2.0tdi at the mo so the company car tax would go through the roof with a 1.8t A5 and the fuel economy!! If they did a 2.0tdi then I think they'd get loads of takers, can't be far off surely???

JBlues
19-05-2008, 11:29 AM
I currently have a B6 Passat Sport Saloon that is due to go in September after 3 years of annoying ownership! I have 2 children (6+2) and after looking around I decided to get a Ford S-Max with the 2.2TDCi. It ticked all the boxes in terms of space, practicality, drive, equipment and at £27200 (with my options) was OK on the company budget. However, this picks up the 26% tax based on CO2 which I find frightening. So I have started all over again and just ordered an A4 Avant SE. Not as practical in my opinion but more of compromise and with 20% tax band I have got £28500 worth of Audi for £23 less per month in tax than the Ford.

So the shor answer is:

Low CO2
Excellent Fuel Consumption
Same sized boot as current Passat (albeit with hatch opening)

MalcQV
19-05-2008, 12:23 PM
I am sure the S-Max is cracking car, but (not just because it is VAG either) the Avant is a far cooler option ;)

JBlues
20-05-2008, 12:27 PM
I need all the help I can get!

B6Andy101
27-05-2008, 11:23 PM
The A5 is a great motor, but prefer the practicality of an A4 Avant. Getting the little fella settled in his seat in the back is easier with four doors & you can open your doors in a car park (try it with an A5). Once you enter the world of kids you see the world from a different point of view.....