PDA

View Full Version : Question ignition switch

boru
16-05-2008, 12:57 PM
hi all,
im having this problem with my 1995 golf cl tdi,
i cant get any power to the starter soleniod when i turn the key in the ignition switch.
i think the switch is knackered,as i can get power if i remove the connector of the switch & link from the "large red cable"to the solenoid cable which is the red/black one.
should i change the ignition switch or install a "starter button"in the dash?
any pointers would be helpful
cheers:1zhelp:

Crasher
16-05-2008, 01:05 PM
Of course you should fit a new switch but don’t fit a pattern one, they are useless. By one from a VW dealer only.

boru
16-05-2008, 01:54 PM
thanks crasher,i bet your waiting for this?
ive removed the blind screw on left hand side of steering column,but how to remove ignition switch completly?
cheers

Crasher
16-05-2008, 06:13 PM
You have to remove the column lock unit, the correct way to do this is to remove the collar but that requires an extractor, some people remove the column from the car.

nicmas2000
16-05-2008, 07:10 PM
yeah i had to borrow a decent puller cos the flange you have to pull against is tiny, one of those cheep 3 pronged ones would'ent do it ,the puller needs to clamp around the steering collum as well as pull and you will want a new blind screw so you can get it nice and tight. not too bad a job though

boru
16-05-2008, 08:32 PM
thanks for replys,
it looks like i will be fitting a "starter switch"in the dash!!
which cable is the switched ignition supply so as to feed the new switch,as i think the large red cable is live always?

Crasher
16-05-2008, 10:39 PM
Do you mean the feed to the starter solenoid (red/black) or the ignition live (black)? Why am I helping you dodge it? When the next circuit fails, are you going to have a separate switch for that as well? It will look like the cockpit of a WWII fighter before you know here you are!

boru
17-05-2008, 04:59 PM
well i managed to remove the ignition switch!!!
first disconnect the steering column uv joint in footwell,and then removed all electrical plugs around steering wheel.then with the steering wheel locked i removed the blind bolt holding the assembly to the column.then it all came straight out.removed the very small phillips screw holding the switch in.
now to get a new one!

boru
21-05-2008, 04:05 PM
update
just fitted new ignition switch,but now the air bag warning light is staying on.
had the battery out and on charge before fitting switch.
any pointers?
cheers

Crasher
21-05-2008, 04:29 PM
It has logged a low battery (terminal 30) fault code and should clear with a fault code read and clear.

boru
21-05-2008, 04:54 PM
thanks crasher,
now how to read/clear this?

bora(ing) nick
21-05-2008, 04:59 PM
Take it to somebody with VAG-Com.....

An Indipendant garage should charge no more than £30 for this.... Or maybe there is somebody on here that lives close to you that could help. Payment in Beer :D

boru
21-05-2008, 05:11 PM
thanks guys,
here goes,
im from ballynahinch co.down,
any one near?
cheers

bora(ing) nick
21-05-2008, 05:21 PM
You could have a quick look through here (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=5319&highlight=VAG+locations) ;)

There is a guy on there from co. antrim... but he's about an hour away from you ;)

Hope that helps

Nick

bora(ing) nick
21-05-2008, 05:25 PM
Might be worth a PM ;)

This Guy (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=68098&postcount=22)