PDA

View Full Version : Failing Electrics-Wash/wipe-HRW & Heater

local 357
16-05-2008, 12:18 PM
:1zhelp:
My 1989 Mk2 Jetta has just started developing electrical gremlins. All the wiper switch functions the Heated Rear Window and Heater blower (all Positions have stopped). The heater blower rheostat and motor were changed 2 years ago. They heve worked faultlessly until now. All the fuses are intact and each of the problem circuits are fused separately. The Golf used to have some problems with the fusebox.
Is this likely to be the same?
If so. Can the fusebox be repaired?
:confused:

Crasher
16-05-2008, 01:10 PM
The X circuit has shut down and will be either the X relay or the ignition switch. Is your hazard switch on the dash or on top of the steering column? The only Golf fuse boxes that regularly failed were those on pre 83 Golf 1’s.

local 357
17-05-2008, 08:01 AM
Thanks I can now see from the diagram the "link" 'X'. :Blush:

Which is the 'X' relay my manual does not identify it!

The hazard switch is on the top of the steering column.

How do identify the 'X' circuit wiring at the ignition switch, Do I look for 12v feed with ignition on and if none this is the circuit at fault. Is it possible to check the switch or do I just order a relacement.

Can you tell I know little about vehicle electrics, even less about the diagrams in the manual!

Crasher
19-05-2008, 09:36 AM
By the hazard switch being on top of the steering column I can tell you have the later type of fuse box so the X relay is at position 4 (upper row of main relays, fourth from the left) and it has the number 18 on top and from VW is now VAG part number 7M0 951 253 A and costs about £13. The X relay is controlled by the ignition switch from position X (funnily enough) on the ignition switch and this is marked on the switch and plug and the wire colour is black/yellow. Thinking about it, if the headlights are not working, it will be the ignition switch and not the really as the lights are powered from the X line switch command, not from the relay. Only buy a new switch from a VW dealer, do not buy them pattern as they are very unreliable.

local 357
19-05-2008, 09:52 AM
Thanks............ The headlamps are working so I have ordered a relay for tomorrow Tuesday. Will post result when fitted. It is good to know someone out there is willing to spend time and help.

local 357
20-05-2008, 10:53 AM
New relay '100' part number as described £10.35 +VAT. Job done, very satisfied. Wish I could read the diagrams properly. Still It might help if I understood the vehicle electrics a bit!