PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Seat Belt Height Adjuster Rattles

bellalan_1969
16-05-2008, 10:12 AM
Hi

Anyone had problems with rattling seat height belt adjusters ? Both of mine on the drivers and passengers side rattle ; and it's so annoying because they are near to the ear. The rest of the car doesn't make a squeak !

I had a courtesy car the other week (A3) and it seemed to be a problem on that car too ... so I was wondering if this is common.

I have only had the car 3 weeks ; it's a 2006 A4.

Any feedback / advice is appreciated

thanks
Alan

elPaulio
16-05-2008, 10:19 AM
Hi Alan,

Is it the plastic that is rattling or does it sounds / feel like the whole thing is slightly loose and rattling?

If it is the latter then I would assume that taking the pillar trim off and tightening the nuts would cure that.

If it's the plastic then taking it apart as much as possible and cleaning and ensuring that not little catches have broken then putting it back together might help.
I will have a listen to mines at lunch time and see if mines do that same.

But I warn you, if I find that mines rattle and I haven't noticed it until now and can't stop hearing it, I'll be after you :buttkick:

Cheers

Paul :biglaugh:

bellalan_1969
16-05-2008, 10:32 AM
Hi Paul

Thanks for the reply. It's hard to tell which bit specifcially rattles - but 'I think' it's more the physical bit that slides up and down.

The car didn't make a sound when I took it out for a test drive - the problem is quite new ..

Thanks
Alan

elPaulio
16-05-2008, 10:48 AM
Hi Alan,

Bizarre!! I'll have a look at lunch time.
It could be that it just needs a bit of grease or what ever put on the rails!!

Have you tried running the adjuster all the way up and down a few times to spread out the grease that is in there?? Worth a try!!

Will let you know what I find.

Cheers

Paul :biglaugh:

bellalan_1969
25-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Hi Paul

I took it to the dealer last week, and they replaced the whole B pillar trim (the seat belt adjuster sits in this) - but the problem has not gone away - I have booked it in again for June 2nd ... but I get the feeling they won't keep replacing the whole trim until we find one that doesn't rattle !!

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thx
Alan

shamm
27-05-2008, 06:25 PM
i m having the same sqeaky noises also, hope you can find the cause

urbanaspect
05-09-2010, 06:53 PM
Going to revive this thread as I'm having the same issue, a high pitched squeaking kind of rattle, perhaps coming from the passenger seat belt.

Any success stories with fixing this? I seem to recall I had the same problem on my last (ford) car as well. It drove me :aargh4: so I sold the car (OK, not the only reason) and the problem has followed me!

Please do no include the word 'tinnitus' in your reply.

psynnott
07-01-2012, 09:33 PM
For anyone still having this issue - I found a solution. It was driving me absolutely nuts - ask my wife - I've been like a bear with a sore head for the past week since we got the car!
I had someone sit in the back seat and try to locate the noise. Long story short, it was inside the rear speaker (http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?&_nkw=rear+speaker) cavity. Take off the metal speaker grill and there is a kind of semi-flexible insulating mould plastic inside (I didn't have a speaker in there). By pushing this back and reshaping it closer to the metal exterior of the car, it has cured the rattle!!
I hope this helps someone else going through this infuriating issue.

SebRogers
08-01-2012, 02:15 PM
And the moral of the story is... squeaks and rattles often don't come from where you think they're coming from ;P