PDA

View Full Version : factory towbar help!

yamekim
16-05-2008, 08:52 AM
I have an early B6 that has a factory towbar in with the spare wheel, looking under the bumper it appears that the electrics etc are all there, trouble is i have no instructions on how to fit the towbar also i have no key for the lock on the detachable part, can anyone help firtstly with a set of instructions on how to fit it, secondly on how to get a spare key or if need be where i can get a new detachable kit with keys? have looked on ebay and searched the new but am drawing blanks. :confused:

GeorgeE
16-05-2008, 09:36 AM
If it is the genuine article (and it does sound like it is) then I am pretty sure the instructions are in the vehicle handbook. PM me if you don't have one.....

yamekim
16-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Thanks GeorgeE, i have the handbook and this gives genreal advice on towing and how to lock the bar, but with regard to how to lower from behind the bumper this says refer to the fitting instructions supplied with the detachable bar which i do not have.

front wing
16-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Right the electric socket is held on a catch which when released allows it to swing down below the bumper. The towbar fits from below and the hole it fits into is protected from road dirt etc by a spring loaded metal plate and this is right next to the electrical socket. Far as I know the towbar lock should be your main car key. This is from memory so appologies if I have got something slightly wrong.

yamekim
16-05-2008, 01:19 PM
Thanks front wing, will check how it drops down later, my main key though does not fit the lock is a smaller key, but hopefully someone on here can help with that!

front wing
16-05-2008, 02:15 PM
I believe Audi tow hitch's are made by a company called Westfillia, who also do the same tow hitch under there own name. If the ball hitch is silver then it is one made for Audi as a oem Audi part part, if its black then it is marketed under there own name and probably wasnt fitted by Audi.

I am worried about the keys though, as I assumed mine would fit as it was factory fitted, must check later.

yamekim
16-05-2008, 07:25 PM
Thanks again front wing, have had everything out of the boot and had a good look underneath, the tow bar is silver and unused with the audi rings and part numbers but its definately another key required to unlock it, also still cant see how the electrics etc drop down looks pretty tight behind the bumper and cant see any obvious catches.

front wing
16-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Your right about the key yamekin, but I am lucky, just found mine under the ball joint. Re the electrics if you pull it downwards from the left side of the socket (thats left if you face the back of the car) you should be able to pull it down.