PDA

View Full Version : Rattly suspension

gordonjbarrie
31-12-2006, 11:19 AM
Hi

I have a 1994 80 1.6 with 66k on the clock. It goes well but, I have noticed a slightly rattly noise from the front nearside if the road gets a bit rutted. Any suggestions?

Thanks and Happy New Year when it arrives!:beerchug:

Gordon

Pegleg
31-12-2006, 04:43 PM
Had a similar problem with my Octavia.

Turned out to be front anti-roll bar bushes.

Replacements were superseded to cure the problem with originals wearing quickly.

stevegrass777
01-01-2007, 11:31 AM
probably wish bone bushes have a look and see if they look worn.

gordonjbarrie
03-01-2007, 09:25 PM
Thanks for your advice!

Gordon

lennymfo
03-01-2007, 11:15 PM
I had an 80 with a similar problem and it was bushes.

brd
08-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Had similar... and a know issue to test for when buying - although easy enough to fix. Stand on the side of the car and put your foot on the top of the wheel and try to rock it forward and back (with handbrake on) - ie towards the front and the back of the car. If you see a little play, then its the bushes alright. Not a difficult job.
If you don't get play, then check the two rubber bushes towards the middle underneath the car for the anti-roll bar... knocking happening when the car is torsioning over bumps, ie different bumps on left to right with independent motions of the suspension... even easier to change too.

lennymfo
08-01-2007, 06:06 PM
Thanks. I got the antiroll bar bushes replaced for £110 but that didnt cure it so am gonna get it checked out again. It may be the trailing arm bushes.

jp_paul
08-01-2007, 06:32 PM
Could also be strut top mounting. Theres a bearing up there which wears out, particularly if the plastic strut protector is broke or bump stops are worn. Check track rod end for play too.

m4xmw
09-01-2007, 09:56 AM
Yes I reckon it could be ball joint area too!
Jack the car up, and have the wheel off the ground.
Give it a sharp tap at the top or bottom of the wheel and you should be able to hear a clunk of some sort.
It may take a heavy knock with the palm of your hjand on the tyre to make it do this!

Hope this helps?

Mark