PDA

View Full Version : Question MOT Advisory item

rodaire
15-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Hi Recently had an MOT carried out and was told that: "Your vehicle has only just met the front brake imbalance requirements. It would appear that the braking system requires adjustment or repair". Has anyone run into this before? I would appreciate knowing that I'm not alone with this problem.http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/1zhelp.gif :1zhelp:

WesleyP
16-05-2008, 08:55 AM
The brake force applied to each wheel on an axle has to be similiar to within a certain tolerance, otherwise your car is going to pull to one side under heavy braking (never mind the fact that braking efficiency is reduced). What you are being told is you are just within that tolerance so not an MOT Failure but something needs checking. At the very least check the condition of pads and discs, at least one set might be badly worn. Another cause could be a piston sticking in the caliper body or caliper body sliding restricted due to corrosion etc.

snapdragon
16-05-2008, 10:14 AM
If it was mine,, I'd remove the wheels and have a good look at the pads and discs, if one side is more worn than the other, there might be a problem there. Alternatively, I would probably just replace the discs and pads anyway and be done with it and inspect the old ones I took off to see if one side is more worn, the less worn side I would keep an eye on. Also change and flush the brake fluid afterwards. It could be as simple as caliper bracket all corroded and dirty grease on it has made the pad move lazily.

rodaire
16-05-2008, 09:42 PM
The brake force applied to each wheel on an axle has to be similiar to within a certain tolerance, otherwise your car is going to pull to one side under heavy braking (never mind the fact that braking efficiency is reduced). What you are being told is you are just within that tolerance so not an MOT Failure but something needs checking. At the very least check the condition of pads and discs, at least one set might be badly worn. Another cause could be a piston sticking in the caliper body or caliper body sliding restricted due to corrosion etc.

Thanks. I kinda figured out the problem and my reason for posting the question was to know if anyone had been notified of this sort of problem through the MOT because I didn't know they were that particular (sure were not in BC).

snapdragon
16-05-2008, 09:44 PM
Not had the problem, but my garage gives me the printouts and they show the maximum variances etc.. allowed. If I find them, I'll scan and post. With the computerised MOT, they are a lot less keen to be lenient as VOSA gets more data.

Thanks. I kinda figured out the problem and my reason for posting the question was to know if anyone had been notified of this sort of problem through the MOT because I didn't know they were that particular (sure were not in BC).

rodaire
16-05-2008, 09:49 PM
If it was mine,, I'd remove the wheels and have a good look at the pads and discs, if one side is more worn than the other, there might be a problem there. Alternatively, I would probably just replace the discs and pads anyway and be done with it and inspect the old ones I took off to see if one side is more worn, the less worn side I would keep an eye on. Also change and flush the brake fluid afterwards. It could be as simple as caliper bracket all corroded and dirty grease on it has made the pad move lazily.

Shucks, you mean I've gotta get my hands dirty? Again? The last time I jacked-up a wheel was in 1993! Thanks. I think I'll pay someone to do it.