PDA

View Full Version : TT 1.8t 225, engine rattle?

lucky225
15-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Hi can anyone help, had my TT 225 for 9months, kept it serviced regularly and not had any real problems with it but yesterday it started to make a rattly noise coming from the engine area seems to make the noise upto 1500rpm then it clears completely when revved higher, doesnt matter whether cold or hot its still there. At first i though it was the Exhaust blowing or the Cat heatshield vibrating but on closer inspection these seem fine!
Its a 2000 - X reg 1.8t 225 coupe.

Col
15-05-2008, 05:56 PM
Sounds like a classic case of the 1.8T oil sludging problem. There is lots of info online about this so do a search.

If your lucky a few oil changes it will cure it. But the usual cure is to remove the sump, clean the oil pickup out and / or replace the oil pump.

Sorry it isn't better news.

kite
15-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Could be a cam chain rattle, the twin cams are linked by a chain on the nearside of the block,
the tensioner can wear, its a known problem area.

lucky225
15-05-2008, 09:23 PM
Sounds like a classic case of the 1.8T oil sludging problem. There is lots of info online about this so do a search.

If your lucky a few oil changes it will cure it. But the usual cure is to remove the sump, clean the oil pickup out and / or replace the oil pump.

Sorry it isn't better news.

Cheers, was thinking of doing an oil change!

lucky225
15-05-2008, 09:26 PM
Could be a cam chain rattle, the twin cams are linked by a chain on the nearside of the block,
the tensioner can wear, its a known problem area.
Cheers ive got it booked in for a cambelt change next week as its due so this could well be the problem, will let you know how i get on!