PDA

View Full Version : Towbar electrics

NeilJMD
15-05-2008, 02:33 PM
Anyone have any pics of the external view of a detachable type towbar? The company I bought mine from have sent me 3 different fitting kits, 13 pin and 7 pin with 3 backplates. I need a pic of the detachable that has the pulldown electrics if anyone can help. Thanks! :confused:

golf tdi 02
15-05-2008, 02:48 PM
ask golfgttdi expert on tow bars??

NeilJMD
15-05-2008, 05:12 PM
only if you know how to fit them to an Audi!

StuPDi
15-05-2008, 05:20 PM
i went to have one fitted to the a4 because i was considering getting a caravan (i gonna go get my coat and leave now!!!)

i spoke to a few fitters who advised a fitting loom for the 7 pin electrics due to the engine management getting confused about having another set of rear lights and shutting the fuel supply down :(

the immense cost of all this has put things on hold for a while :(

Stu

NeilJMD
15-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Bought mine from TowEquipe and they've given me 3 different wiring sets although the proper VWAudi one (with 13 pins) is there but no instructions on how to fit it. It does have the control unit though which apparently sorts out the problem you mention.

Ben
15-05-2008, 07:39 PM
hi.

are the electric sockets you have got designed to fit externally of the bumper or hide up inside a cut out hole like mine?

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb105/golfmk5gttdi/11082007288.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb105/golfmk5gttdi/11082007289.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb105/golfmk5gttdi/11082007287.jpg

Ben
15-05-2008, 07:40 PM
where in france are you based?

NeilJMD
15-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Not in a special hole like yours but to the rear of the bumper, the plastic underbody protection panel has to be removed and then it sits happily there. It's a Westfalia make but for the life of me I can't figure out how the spring loaded pulldown electrics should be fitted, I have the 13 pin socket and the wiring should run straight from the back of that but the metal plate on the pulldown is solid with just 6 screw holes in it (3 are captive nut types) and no route for the wiring to pass through. I could easily modify it but would prefer to do a proper job!

NeilJMD
15-05-2008, 07:46 PM
where in france are you based?
Right over the east next to the Swiss border. Geneva is 15 mins drive away.

StuPDi
15-05-2008, 07:46 PM
surely iirc, a 13 pin socket will only work with a caravan with the electric hookup and lights all coming from 1 socket???

would you not be better fitting 2 7-pin sockets? 1 for lights, and the other for hookup if required??

i might be totally wrong though :(

Stu

NeilJMD
15-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Would you believe it has a 7 pin adapter (bit like a travel adapter) that I have to lock in so I can haul my trailer.

Ben
15-05-2008, 07:51 PM
surely iirc, a 13 pin socket will only work with a caravan with the electric hookup and lights all coming from 1 socket???

would you not be better fitting 2 7-pin sockets? 1 for lights, and the other for hookup if required??

i might be totally wrong though :(

Stu

13 pin is the new european standard that we in blighty have not changed over to.

if you have a 13 pin in the uk, you will require a splitter socket to convert the 13 to the 7 pin uk standard.

where you see vehicles in the uk with 2 electrical sockets, the 13 pin combines them both in to the single socket.

NeilJMD
15-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Which explains why they've sent me 2 x 7 pin sockets and 1 x 13 (plus an adapter). Still need to figure out how the wiring should run though.

Ben
15-05-2008, 07:56 PM
Not in a special hole like yours but to the rear of the bumper, the plastic underbody protection panel has to be removed and then it sits happily there. It's a Westfalia make but for the life of me I can't figure out how the spring loaded pulldown electrics should be fitted, I have the 13 pin socket and the wiring should run straight from the back of that but the metal plate on the pulldown is solid with just 6 screw holes in it (3 are captive nut types) and no route for the wiring to pass through. I could easily modify it but would prefer to do a proper job!

thing may become clearer once the bumper is removed. normally there is a convenient grommit that you is designed for you to use to get the electrics in to the car.

did they supply a multiplex bypass relay? thats what mine uses.

have a read of this thread http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=9482 and then drop an email in to towbars direct. they may have downloadable instructions on their website. also worth trying the westfalia website.

NeilJMD
16-05-2008, 08:28 AM
Cheers for that, tried both sites, the wiring part is clear enough, it's just this mount for the socket that's giving me issues. Will let you know the outcome.

mick72
16-05-2008, 08:58 AM
My father has just had a tow bar with a detachable hitch fitted to his A6. His electrics are the new 13 pin type. This incorporates the split charging for the fridge etc. and a seperate splitter is supplied with the towbar which converts the 13 pin to twin electrics. (New caravans are now being fitted with 13 pin). The fittment is that good i could even tell the towbar was fitted untill he told me!!.
The brand name for the towbar is called 'Witter' which is a fantasic brand name and have also been around for many many years.
The tow bar was purchased from a company called 'Stanley towbars'. The company is based in the N.E near durham.

Tel: 0191 387 1422 Mobile: 07977 200 002
Unit 2, Station Road, Chester-le-Street, Co. Durham. DH3 3DY
Business Hours: Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm, Sat 9am - 2pm
E-Mail: enquiries@stanleytowbars.co.uk</B>

These guys have been round for many years and have a great reputation.
Please feel free to give them a call or drop them an email for questions etc.
Check out the website at www.stanleytowbars.co.uk (http://www.stanleytowbars.co.uk). It even explains the legality of having a towbar fitted.

Flying Scot
16-05-2008, 09:00 AM
I have one fitted to my 05 plate A6 Avant. Not sure of the make of it though. Hope these are of some use to you. If you want any more I can try and get some better images with my camera over the weekend. Lying in the works car park using my phone will probably not produce the best photos!!

I've never attempted to add a picture, so hopefully this works!

Ben
16-05-2008, 07:08 PM
I have place a link to this thread in the towbar research Q&A thread (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=9482) that is stickied at the top of the MK5 section. post no. 31