PDA

View Full Version : Mk3 Golf TDI electrical questions

j_coupland
20-03-2005, 05:01 PM
Hi all

Somthing that occured to me was that if any of the ECU sensors were to pack in on my Golf, how would I know? The reason I ask is because other cars have a yellow ECU warning light for this purpose and I've noticed that my Golf hasn't got one.

Also, I recently purchased a Pipercross performance air filter to be fitted on Monday but will it interfere with the airflow mass sensor in any way?

And finally, my engine temperature guage has been moving erratically and the red warning light has been flashing occasionally, usually when the engine is cold. I've cleaned the the temp. sensor connector and it seems to be working fine at the moment. But if it occurs again am I just as well to change the temp. sensor instead of testing it with a multimeter?

Thanks
John

stuart
21-03-2005, 01:26 PM
Hi, thanks for re-posting this;)

Unless you notice a fault, it would be difficult to tell is a sensor has gone faulty, unless you plug the car in a diagnostic machine, and see if any fault codes show up.

Any performance filter that contains oil, can effect the airflow sensor, I had a K & N filter fitted to a Seat Leon, and it managed to burn mine out. You could see it had sucked oil through it, and burnt on the film.

As for the temp gauge, I would test this out first, could be a switch, dash printed circuit, voltage stabiliser, or even the switch in the expantion tank bottle which senses coolant level.

Hope this helps a bit

Stuart

j_coupland
21-03-2005, 07:33 PM
Hi

Yes I'll test the sensor first and I'll keep an eye on the new filter when it's fitted.

Ta very much

John