PDA

View Full Version : MCD Navigator and stock CD changer

qifop
14-05-2008, 06:55 PM
Afternoon all,

My "gamma" standard headunit is playing up (and also buttons are dropping off it) and therefore I am looking for a replacement. I have come across a MCD Navigator unit which is similar but also has the advantage of having navigation and will fill the double DIN dash.

My Bora already has a VW standard fit CD Changer in the boot lining next to the first aid kit holder.

Does anyone know any reason why this existing changer will not work with the MCD unit, they are both standard fit in the same year so I am guessing it is just a plug in jobby.

I understand I will need a GPS aerial and also a "plug and play" harness also to get the stereo itself working?

I want to keep the dash OEM looking and do not like the MFD units with the large screen.

The MCD is this unit;

http://www.polo9n3.info/tippsuinfos/radio/mcd.jpg

My car is a 2000 Bora 2.0ltr Sport

Thanks for any help offered!

Froggy
16-05-2008, 12:13 PM
The CD changer should work absolutely fine.

You will need a harness adapter as you have mentioned.

qifop
17-05-2008, 07:09 PM
What does the "plug and play" harness actually do?

Reason I ask is, looking at the wiring diagram on top of my existing "gamma" stereo and looking at the wiring diagram for the MCD, all the ISO blocks wiring looks identical. The MCD just has an additional block to the right?

MCD Wiring Diag as below

http://renmiata.no.sapo.pt/images/rns_mcd_pin.jpg

Do I need this extra harness?

Ben
17-05-2008, 07:41 PM
the cd changer may just plug in to one of the available holes in the harness. it may fit in more than one but only work in one. if that makes sense.

Froggy
20-05-2008, 04:57 PM
What does the "plug and play" harness actually do?

Reason I ask is, looking at the wiring diagram on top of my existing "gamma" stereo and looking at the wiring diagram for the MCD, all the ISO blocks wiring looks identical. The MCD just has an additional block to the right?

MCD Wiring Diag as below

http://renmiata.no.sapo.pt/images/rns_mcd_pin.jpg

Do I need this extra harness?

The CD player plugs in where it says CDC on the above piccy. The additional harness is to connect the Can bus wiring in the D plug, which I think you need connected to get things to work correctly.

graeme86
01-06-2008, 05:33 AM
Plugs A,B and C are the same as the Gamma.

You just need to get the extra red 10-pin connector for the D plug and connect the KL15 (ignition) and REV (reverse light) wires. Some MCD's use an ABS signal and some use the GALA signal for navi calculation. THe wiring of the MCDs is slightly different depending on which version you have (hopefully an "A" version which uses the GALA)

If you get an MCD adapter harness off ebay they will have the correct setup (they just tap into the existing radio GALA signal wire and the 15+ wire)

I think reverse connection is optional operation wise as the navi realises where its going eventually - it is more accurate if its connected though.

If you do not have the FIS display in the dash then you do not need to connect the CAN-Hi or CAN-Lo at all - they are the signal wires for the navi display in the dash.

colb666
01-06-2008, 06:30 AM
It will work with the existing harness,the additional harness required is to connect the dash display up and if you don't have the full height dash display then save your money as the display on the actual unit shows what you want anyway....GPS aerial is all you really need to get the unit working fine mate.

Don't expect this type of unit to be like modern satnavs,they are slow and not exactly dead simple to use like touch screen types.Decent sound off them and they look far better in the dash than a radio/cassette.

graeme86
01-06-2008, 09:25 AM
If you have the "1J0 035 191 A" version MCD then it communicates with the cluster through the 3LB wires in the green coloured "C" plug (the 3 pins marked DISPL )

If you have the "1J0 035 191 C" version MCD then you have to connect the CAN-Hi and CAN-lo in the "D" plug to get the dash display to work. The "C" version only ever came out in the later Passats from the factory, so they used the CANBUS (i.e. the same problem as when trying to fit an MFD-G to a Golf)

However, as your car is a 2000 year, I hope you have the "A" version.

This is all academic in any case as you probably don't have an FIS anyway.

At least, the 3 gamma plugs are the same anyway - plug it in and see if the navi part works without the "D" plug having the power connected.

Please let us know.