PDA

View Full Version : A4 Avant 2.0 Tdi S line Air Con Compressor

thecount
14-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Ok, only had this 05 A4 for about 3 weeks and I have noticed tapping from teh engine.

Local garage has spotted that its the Air Con Compressor and it will cost £615 for the part and £100 for labour. apparently you have to change the whole thing , pully/clutch?

Called the garage I purchased the car from and they referred me the the 5 star AA cover they gave me. Called them up and its not covered under the standard cover as I needed to purchase the optional extra cover.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Anyone got any ideas to get this cost down at all? I'm based in Peterborough Cambridgeshire.

thecount
19-05-2008, 10:18 AM
shame, nobody has any advice on this one? I'm gutted I didn't notice this when I picked up the car!

Issac Hunt
19-05-2008, 10:22 AM
How long out of the 3 year Audi warranty is it? If you have a decent Audi service history I would contact them for a goodwill claim - many people have been succesful in claiming for repairs with cars over 3 years old. including me!

thecount
19-05-2008, 10:27 AM
hi, its got 78000 on the clock. and it was first registered 21/03/2005 - I am the second owner.

What do you think? and how exactly could I get this goodwill claim without saying the obvious "would you do it for free?"

I have a local Audi dealer here but not sure how to approach this?

any advice and pointers?

Issac Hunt
19-05-2008, 11:20 AM
If it has a full Audi main dealer service history then you 'MIGHT' have a chance, without this I fear your chances are between slim and none!

Only way is to ask them, or write a letter to customer services explaining how much you love car (and will consider an Audi for your next car!) but how sad you are that such a reliable car has suffered an expensive problem.

I did this with a previous B6 I used to own when the clutch failed at 69k. As the warranty only runs to 60k I wrote to customer services and Audi paid for all repairs as a 'goodwill gesture'

It did have a full Audi history though, they said without this there would be no payment as I wasnt fully supporting the dealer network if I got my car serviced elsewhere.

thecount
19-05-2008, 12:02 PM
wow, that sounds like a good thing to try.

Who exactly could I write to? Audi Uk? any advise?

It does has a full audi service (but I did recently get another garage to change the Cam Belt)

thanks

Issac Hunt
19-05-2008, 02:19 PM
Look on the official Audi webiste (UK) The contact details for customer services and/or the managing director will be on there somewhere.

I have emailed the MD previously and can vouch for the fact that his office do take customer complaints seriously. No guarantee you will get a penny from them but you dont have anything to lose!!

thecount
19-05-2008, 02:24 PM
very true, I don't have anything to lose. thanks for that, I'll take a look.

rdolo
03-06-2008, 01:02 PM
all very interesting,
I bought my A4 11 May, knowing that the compressor was noisy, but the price was right.
I checked with Audi and they qouted £608 plus £150 fitting. I smuggly bought the car anyway thinking it would be an easy diy fix but things are looking different now.
It was noted on its last service at 82k (now at 91k) and was apparently planned for its next service to be done. obviously now it is mine so will see what happens.

thecount
03-06-2008, 01:11 PM
I've been quoted about £608 for the part and £100 for fitting. I'm going to wait until i et noisier I think.