PDA

View Full Version : how do you change front brake pads

Vasto
14-05-2008, 04:24 PM
bassicly i undid 2 screw on the brake, with an alan key, and i jus made the brakes reallly lose n took the pins off the pads because i tryd to slip the pads out but this isnt working, how do i do this proper to change the pads.

EXTREME HELP WANTED!

Issac Hunt
14-05-2008, 05:22 PM
Take it to a mechanic if you dont know what your doing!

Faulty/incorrectly fitted brakes could kill you, or me!

bora(ing) nick
14-05-2008, 05:33 PM
if you don't know what your doing, get someone who does to help you, or as stated above... it could prove fatal.

Hopefully this guide (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=13943&highlight=change+brakes) should help

Nick

Vasto
14-05-2008, 05:36 PM
mechanics i neva go to, ive saved maself over about£2000 on other things, i looked at that guide but that looks it doesnt show me how to take the hex shape lookin screws of and the alan keys i have are all warn out, rite now ma disk is very loose and i have no idea about the, brake fluid bit i just want to change the pads.

bora(ing) nick
14-05-2008, 05:46 PM
You haven't even had chance to read the guide let alone see how it applies to your vehicle.

I agree, everybody likes saving money where ever they can... but the brakes are 1 thing that you should not mess with unless you are competent.

I presume you've taken the lid off of the brake fluid resevoir under the bonnet. (this will allow you to force the pistons back)

I have no idea why your disc is loose. Have you untighted the locating screw on the hub?

The disc can happily stay in place whilst changing the pads.

Once you've forced the piston back, and removed the 2 long hex screws from the calliper completly.... the caliliper just slides off giving you access to the pads.

Before you put the new pads in (using the guide posted above ;)) make sure you fully retract the piston into the chamber, otherwise you will struggle to fit the new thicker pads over the disc.

If you haven't got the right tools for the job, take it to somebody that has.

Nick

Vasto
14-05-2008, 06:50 PM
this stuff about pistons ive been told about but i have no idea , what its all about, im in the process of removing the hex bolts, but me tools broke so thats why there loose !

i need to get a new tool for the hex bolt im not too sure wat i need, ive been using alan keys from a bike lol they got warn out straight away.

i thought it was a simple task of removing the calipers and removing pads and puting the new ones in.

oldboy V5
14-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Me thinks you need a proper mechanic to sort it out. The pads are relatively easy to change; if you've got yourself in a pickle it will end up costing more to rectify everything! I do not understand why your discs are loose??? Sorry, probably not what you want to hear.

Vasto
14-05-2008, 07:43 PM
i no why there loose , i havnt finished unscrewein the hex screws because ma tool got warm down and does not turn anymore.

STEWY L
14-05-2008, 07:53 PM
this stuff about pistons ive been told about but i have no idea , what its all about, im in the process of removing the ******* hex bolts, but me tools broke so thats why there loose !

i need to get a new tool for the hex bolt im not too sure wat i need, ive been using alan keys from a bike lol they got warn out straight away.

i thought it was a simple task of removing the calipers and removing pads and puting the new ones in.
call a garage to pull your car in to repair the brakes, then scrap it!
god forbid, don't sell it.
hand in your driving license, and then emigrate.
please do this as soon as possible and save a few lives.
regards,
stewy(living on a knife edge)

Vasto
14-05-2008, 08:02 PM
its being fixed dont worry, and will be sold. considering this car has cost me manyyyy problems.

im gttin it sprayed soon aswell. soon as the new brakes are on which i cant botherd to do anymore, a quick £700 and it isnt my problem. going to get ma friend to do the brakes, what lisence?

STEWY L
14-05-2008, 08:10 PM
its being fixed dont worry, and will be sold. considering this car has cost me manyyyy problems.

im gttin it sprayed soon aswell. soon as the new brakes are on which i cant botherd to do anymore, a quick £700 and it isnt my problem. going to get ma friend to do the brakes, what lisence?
speaks volumes:confused:

colinallcars
15-05-2008, 07:53 AM
A wind-up perhaps?

bora(ing) nick
15-05-2008, 09:12 AM
Even worse, i think he's serious!

Vasto
15-05-2008, 03:26 PM
corse im seroiuse!! why wouldnt i be, i need to get rid of this car and make money, simple solution realy.

the pads are in the process of being changed, jus need new hex keys and them put the piston back and put pads in blabla i know what im doing now, its fairly easy.