PDA

View Full Version : Question TomTom hard wire question

Richmix
14-05-2008, 10:00 AM
Hello all - first ever post.

Really enjoying the forum whilst I wait patiently for my Silver 2.0tdi due for delivery w/c 2nd June

Couldn't afford most of the extra's so I'm stuck with a TomTom GO720T for my in car navigation. In my current car I get a bit sick of plugging and unplugging the device and attaching it to the windscreen. Via the TomTom site I've seen some hard wire kits and brackets. Just wanted to know (I know it's early days) if anyone has successfully hard wired a TomTom into their new B8? If so what would you suggest

Look forward to any help/advice

Cheers

R

RickT
14-05-2008, 11:33 PM
If its same as a b6 or B7.. between the drivers door and cluster, you can run a power source from the fuse box and use have the wire "sticking" out, does not look the nicest, but works..

Rick

nickmurphy
28-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Yes - that's what I did. Bought a ciggy lighter socket for a fiver, then wired it to to a live feed in the fusebox and an earth point, then plugged in the Tomtom plug, there's plenty of room around the fuse box for it to sit, and if you're careful you can route the cable to the unit so it's almost invisible

Nick

Richmix
02-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Cheers for that

Ended up with a Brodit pro clip with built in leads - very good

Thanks

jcb
02-07-2008, 11:08 AM
ouch - they are pricey .£50 for the mount. i only paid £99 for the tomtom !!!
is it easy enought to open the dashboard gap up - looks a bit scary on a new car !

Richmix
02-07-2008, 11:19 AM
I was very scared at first.

Looked at video's leaflets etc and eventually bought the mount that sits between the MMI screen and the dials.

Fitted fine - no screws, holes or damage and you get supplied small plastic blade type thing that allows you to open the fascia and pop the mount securely into place. There is adhesive strips on the mounty which helps hold in position.

Started dis liking the position of the mount as days went by. The power cable and traffic cable dropped over the igintion slot. The bracket needed turning each time you started or stopped the car so the screw eventually slackened. The view of the MMI screen was partially oblitterated. All minor things but it just didn't feel or look right.

I have since changed the clip and bough the side mount which now sits slightly above and to the left of the passenger air controls. This meant I could retain the powered bracket I had already bought and I simply changed the mount. This second mount was easier to fit, feels more solid and secure and is less obtrusive and is out of view of passing pedestrians - wish I'd bought this one first. (damn!)

Granted, the powered clip and the mount came to £50 and then I spent another £17 on a new mount.

Hopefully this mini review may help others.

By the way - if anyone wants to but my original mount (with 4 screw holes in!) I'm sure I can agree to a discounted rate!