PDA

View Full Version : Alhambra intermittent lack of power

jugs1960
14-05-2008, 01:21 AM
Hi all
I am new to this forum but hope someone can help the newbe.
I run a Alhambra 1.9 tdi 1998 (AHU engine)90 bhp, which has intermittent lack of power, had fault read ----: Manifold Absolute Pressure control difference INTERMITTENT.
I've been told that the MAP sensor is in the ECU, does this mean I require a new ECU?????????.
Many Thanks in advance

raheeliqbal
19-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Hey, me a newb too! got same prob with mine. Drove out of London yesterday, stopped for a break then after getting back in had no acceleration. Was okay on downhills but crawled uphill!

Getting a Haynes so if easy to sort will do myself. Let me know how you get on with yours and I'll keep you posted on mine.

Cheers

:biglaugh:

eddie52
07-05-2010, 03:38 PM
hello well i have the same problem...

its bn in 2 garages 3 times

1 changed the air filter....worked 4 a bit then failed....took it back he dont have a clue wats wrong with it...

took it 2 the seat dealer....they said common fault is the air filter....a specalist looked over it and said it culd b the fuel injection pump.... which wuld b £1200 2 fix...im refusin 2 get this sorted cos already paid 4 the job 2 get done at the first garage and tht didnt work!!! so i culd pay £1200 and wat if that dont work...if any1 finds out wat it is please let me know....am lookin 4 the haynes book so i can sort it hopefully if i find out wat it is in the mean time i will get back 2 u.

Elevensie
31-05-2010, 11:10 PM
eddie, are you pulling the same code as the other guys? is it an intermitant lack of power? it could be overboosting. carbon builds up on the exit vanes of the turbo and it fails to open, so the computer puts it into limp mode to protect. if it happens when you are towing or accelerating up a hill in 3rd or 4th at, say, 60 mph, then it could be an overboost.

HalfABlueRizla
07-06-2010, 05:22 PM
If the loss of power is due to the vehicle going into limp mode then when the ignition is switched off then on it will reset the fault and will drive normally until the engine management senses the problem again, resulting in the vehicle going back into limp mode once again.
If this is the problem then the cause will be either-
1. Sensor problem (inlet pressure)
2. Genuine overboost
3. Genuine underboost

Possible, but very unlikely - EGR Valve / MAF

Boost issues come with a defective vacuum system - Split hoses, defective solenoids etc.

or

Defective mechanical operating parts - Vane actuator on the turbo or, as said before, the turbo vanes themselves seized.

Check movement of vanes/actuator on the turbo by physically operating them with your hand (should get around 1" of movement)
Check vac hoses for splits etc
As a trial you can swap the solenoid for the EGR valve for that of the solenoid for the vane actuator (situated next to each other), that will determine if a new solenoid is required.

If its just a constant loss of power (ignor the above) and check all turbo hoses for leaks damage etc. Also worth giving the intercooler a clean.

If you can give more detail of problems, what happens, when it happens etc I may be able to pin point it more precisely.

Good luck

Elevensie
07-06-2010, 11:54 PM
That's a very well put together post from halfabluerizla. Hope to hear more info like that.

Why not buy a vw code reader? i just got one online for under 25 quid. Dead simple to use and wouldn't be without one now.

HalfABlueRizla
08-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Sorry to go off topic - any recommends on which fault readers to buy and will it pick up air con issues? (The next issue to sort )

eddie52
11-08-2010, 10:59 PM
hey thanks 4 that.....for sum reason its sorted its self..we gave it a long drive and its cleared.....we have speed.....no more crawlin up hll in same gear...we can now over take cars yeah.....were not thinkin the pipes have bn blocked and have now sorted its self out.

code reader i will deffo buy 1 of them.

now we have a new problem.....got a new door lock fitted yest on rear side near (behind passanges door)....but it wont lock with the central lockin.....we now have 2 lock that door manualy from the inside.
the rest all lock with the central lockin any idea wat it can b.

regards eddie

holtie
30-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Did anyone have any luck as my 1.9dti (asz or is it azs!) lost power while towing my caravan. I did not see any light come on and stopping then restarting the engine sorted it. It did it once on the way to Wales and 3 times on the way home in the first 90 miles but then was OK for the rest of the journey (90 miles) apart from an awful smell (clutch i believe) and my clutch release bearing getting noisier - I think I'd better start saving for a new clutch!!