PDA

View Full Version : 1999 VW Golf 4 - scraping sounds when turning

Shaz13230
30-12-2006, 03:00 PM
Hi

Can some1 please help me with this annoying problem.

One bright morning when everything was fine, I was driving down to my local Tesco. After turning left into the car park, I heard this large scraping/sratching sound coming from the front driver side wheel area (or so it seems). It has been happening ever since. I have just noticed that it also happens when I turn the wheel right (full lock)

I have taken it to the garage, but they cannot see what the problem is. I have also got my tracking done, but noise continues.

Id be grateful if someone could give me some solutions

Thanks

Shaz

auiron
30-12-2006, 04:35 PM
Hi

Can some1 please help me with this annoying problem.

One bright morning when everything was fine, I was driving down to my local Tesco. After turning left into the car park, I heard this large scraping/sratching sound coming from the front driver side wheel area (or so it seems). It has been happening ever since. I have just noticed that it also happens when I turn the wheel right (full lock)

I have taken it to the garage, but they cannot see what the problem is. I have also got my tracking done, but noise continues.

Id be grateful if someone could give me some solutions

Thanks

Shaz

Scraping noise can be associated with the disc wear warning scrapers. Normally these only activate if the pads have worn, but if dirt gets in or they have been adjusted wrongly, then they can scrape when turning.

Shaz13230
31-12-2006, 04:15 PM
Hi many thanks for reply. This does sound very realistic. I will take my car back to the garage and ask him to check both the brake pads and disc.

Many thanks again

hatcheth
19-10-2007, 03:28 PM
Hi,

Did you ever solve this problem.

My golf mk4 also makes this noise when taking left turns at any sort of speed. I have replaced the bushes and it still makes the noise.

Stephen