PDA

View Full Version : 2.0 TDi - couple of questions!!

elPaulio
13-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Hi guys,

Just a couple of quick questions!!

1) What does your car idle at? I'm sitting at around 950-975 and think that's a bit high! Am I paranoid?

2) Getting juddering when pulling away, usually worst when cold, doesn't seem to affect the revs, just the cars itself judders. Any ideas?

3) Going into 3rd is a bit "clunky", don't know how else to describe it!! Doesn't happen all the time, but is a bit annoying. Does happen on other gears some times, but 3rd is the worst. Is this related to 2, above? If not, any ideas?

Cheers

Paul :biglaugh:

stormneil
13-05-2008, 04:10 PM
Hi ya

Mine idles at 800. I was wondering if that was too low? :confused:

Neil

elPaulio
13-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Neil,

I was expecting it to idle around about the 800-850 mark!!

I'll need to remember and check my manual when I get out of hell..err... I mean work :D

elPaulio
15-05-2008, 07:59 AM
Hi Guys,

Any ideas on the above questions??

Checked the manual and there appears to be no mention of idling speed!!

wizbongre
15-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Paul,

Mine appears to idle around the ~900 mark too - not exactly sure as I have no VAG-com but I agree it is higher than I was anticipating.

Gareth.

elPaulio
15-05-2008, 09:02 AM
Hmmm... bizarre!!

Will have to remember and ask at the dealers next time I'm down there!!

Cheers

mick72
15-05-2008, 12:59 PM
Im new to this forum!
Answers to your questions below
1) Idle rpm should be around 800

2) the judder you are experiencing is your clutch. The technical term is clutch judder.
My a4 has clutch judder only when im in heavy traffic and im stopping and starting. The clutch plate overheats if you give too much clutch slip pulling away.
The judder can also be caused by oil contamination too. Check underside for oilleaks around the bell housing area. If so, possible crankshaft oil seal.

3) your 3rd gear clonking is not related to the judder above but its more than likley happening when your car is cold. The oil lubrication is less if your car has stood over night as the oil has run off your syncromesh gear workings.
I get clonking in 2nd gear but only if the car has stood over night. Im not concerned about it as my previous car (A3) did the same.

I hope that has helped
Mick

elPaulio
15-05-2008, 01:04 PM
Hi Mick,

Cheers for the answers!!
That's kinda what I thought for the clutch judder, will get Audi to check it along with the 3rd gear problem as it happens how or cold!!
Just bought the car last month so the more I can get them to look at quickly the better :D

mick72
15-05-2008, 01:14 PM
Has ne one fitted or tried to fit retro cruise control?
Fitting the stalk and new cowling is not a problem but is the harness already installed to the car to enable quick plug in of the stalk?
Does the ecu need to be adjusted to make the cruise work?

Mick72

elPaulio
15-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Hi Mick,

Right, quick run down!!

Cruise can be retro-fitted to the A4 B6 and B7.
You need:
Cruise Stalk
New Lower Cowling
SCSM (Steering Control System Module) Capable of running Cruise.
Vag-Com to code in Cruise to the car.

Now the tricky bit is the SCSM. If you have a MFSW (Multi function Steeering Wheel) then you are laughing because your SCSM will work for cruise. If not you need to check that you do. The best way of checking is to run a Vag-Com scan of your steering module. the part number you are looking for is:
8E0 953 549 ?

The ? is the most important bit, as this will tell you if you can have cruise. If you have F or S then you will need a new SCSM, about £90 + VAT. If you have N, R or T then you can install cruise without the need for a new SCSM.

I am going to install this in my car over the next couple of weeks along with DIS, which I dont have :(

I will be making up a "How-To" guide so will let you know how I get on and how easy or not it is!!

P.S. There is a cruise only guide here http://www.harddrive.plus.com/Documents/A4/A4%20Cruise%20Control.pdf looks fairly complete I would say for Cruise only!!

dsc4t
15-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Hi
My A3 2.0 TDI has the dsg box no worries about taking off. When I tested the manual it was prone to stalling unless you give it a lot of revs. The judder will most likely be the clutch but the amount of revs needed for a smooth take off was remarkably high. My wifes A4 1.9 TDI q doesn't need nearly as much.
The idle for the a3 is around 875 rpm.
Hope all this helps.
DSC

elPaulio
15-05-2008, 01:31 PM
Hey DCS,

Yeah, I've noticed this with both the A4 and my old Golf 2.0 TDi.
It won;t just chug along in 1st with no revs!! My old Mk4 Golf 1.9 TDi would quite happily do this and let you change up as far as about 3rd without touching the gas!! Try that in the A4 and you'll get about two foot forward before it eventually stalls and everyone points and laughs :D

mick72
15-05-2008, 01:39 PM
How do i run VAG-COM?
I do have a multi function steering wheel but pressing the mode switch does not have ne function. It does however work for the radio stations when using the scroll.
Because i have the multi function steering wheel does that mean i already have the steering control module?

elPaulio
15-05-2008, 01:56 PM
Mike,

Vag-Com is a piece of software that is made by Ross Tech in the states (http://www.ross-tech.com ) You need a cable to go with it.

As you have the multi function steering wheel, you should have a compatable steering module which means that if you were to install the cruise control stalk and cowling you could go to your local audi dealer and get them to program the cruise in. Not sure how much they charge, depends on the dealer!! But its generally not a great deal.
Or, you could have a look in the Vag-Com Threads on here http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=211 and see if anyone near you has Vag-Com that could enable the cruise for you!!

Hope that helps clear this minefield up!!! :D