PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Paintwork Issues

sooty
13-05-2008, 02:32 AM
Hi guys,

Last month I stayed over in London and had my car parked in a underground carpark of a hotel. To sum it up it looks like something leaked from the roof of the car park down the side of my car, my pain work was imaculate but now I have this white line going down my car!
It seems to be something solid, I think it is either paint that has been weathered through the roof or limestone that has mixed with rain water.
I've tried everything to get it off and even the valet places cant seem to get it off.

Anyone have any last resorts or shall I just get it re-sprayed?
I wish I had bothered with it earlier and reported it to the hotel and got them to sort it out but its too late now

:1zhelp:

borasport
13-05-2008, 10:25 AM
Might be worth a call to the hotel and see what there policy for damage to patrons cars is? As for the damage have you tried moping it with cutting paste?

RickT
13-05-2008, 10:28 AM
It will be park at owners risk, also you would have to prove it..

Can you get a photo up to give us a better idea???

There are a few products out there which may help..

Cheers

Rick

hagis
13-05-2008, 12:48 PM
There are a few products out there which may help..

Rick

http://www.mtholyoke.edu/courses/twartenb/phil373/warhol_brillo_box.jpg

Hope this helps Sooty :)

RickT
13-05-2008, 05:29 PM

lol... joking aside... have you started simple and tried a bit of t-cut... thats without the brillo pad!

Rick

borasport
13-05-2008, 10:34 PM

This made me laugh alot, very witty

RickT
14-05-2008, 12:11 AM
Also... take a look in our detailing section as someone may be able to advise more than the above...

Cheers

Rick

sooty
14-05-2008, 09:06 PM
lol... joking aside... have you started simple and tried a bit of t-cut... thats without the brillo pad!

Rick

Hi Rick I tried t-cut to no avail... I will get you some pictures in the morning.
It feels like a hard resedue or somethig.

As for the Brillo pads, Hagis send me your address and I'll try it on your car first! :P lol
:beerchug:

RickT
14-05-2008, 09:48 PM
As for the Brillo pads, Hagis send me your address and I'll try it on your car first! :P lol

Nice one... once you done the car you can then come in and do the dishes!!

Cheers

Rick

sooty
15-05-2008, 02:07 AM
Nice one... once you done the car you can then come in and do the dishes!!

Cheers

Rick

Yes mate I'll over in a jiffy!

lloydj2
15-05-2008, 07:47 PM
Try vinegar! Seriously! I had a mark on the paintwork of my A6 when I bought it, and the guy at my local garage reckoned it was some kind of salt silicate which you see leaching out of concrete. He got it off overnight, by gaffer taping a rag over the mark, leaving it slightly gaping at the top. He poured neat vinegar into the rag/tape pocket and left it overnight. it softened the stuff up and it buffed off no bother - give it a try.

hagis
16-05-2008, 12:05 AM
Hi Rick I tried t-cut to no avail... I will get you some pictures in the morning.
It feels like a hard resedue or somethig.

An idiot I worked with (and this is a story in itself) tried touching up his car, he rubbed the paint down with wire wool and then sprayed with aerosol paint. I only wish I had photos, he wrecked the entire car. Remember the bit in Father Ted where he tries to tap a small dint out of a car and ends up covering the whole thing with dents? It was like that, but with scratches and bad paint.

sooty
01-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Try vinegar! Seriously! I had a mark on the paintwork of my A6 when I bought it, and the guy at my local garage reckoned it was some kind of salt silicate which you see leaching out of concrete. He got it off overnight, by gaffer taping a rag over the mark, leaving it slightly gaping at the top. He poured neat vinegar into the rag/tape pocket and left it overnight. it softened the stuff up and it buffed off no bother - give it a try.

Hi mate your a superstar!

I tried the vinegar trick for a few hours on a small spot and it did rub off a little bit... I think the overnight thing on the whole mark will do the trick!

I would have neve EVER though of doing anything with vinegar so thank you very much!