PDA

View Full Version : Help TT overheat :(

saj8162
12-05-2008, 07:28 PM
:confused:HI there! ive just joined the Audi forrum site! as its probably the best place to get sum help from!

I own a audi tt roadstr quatro(225), 2000 plate "W"... was driving home from work, the temperture went up, went near to the red, so i pulled over, let it cool down, checked water an oil, seemed all fine, when the temperture is going up, i cant hear the fan kick in, i left it running when i got home the temperture went up again, but the fan did not kick in!

Im hoping it is just the fan, any idears wht it might be? or any local garage u can recommend i can take it, i live in coventry, westmidlands!

Cheers, ure help would be much appreciated!

kenney
12-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Hi Remove the contact on the radiator thermo switch,bridge the 2 wires, red and red on black and see if the fan starts.Feel the temp of the upper and lower radiator hoses,they should have the same temp,before overheating.If they dont have the same temp,before overheating i.e the top hose is very warm and the bottom hose is cold you most likely have a faulty thermostat

saj8162
12-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Cheers kenny!... I hate working on cars, but i didnt remmeber, when i pulled up from work at home the fan was on, but it didnt cool it down for sum reason, but then when i switched it off and started it again and left it running it didnt come on when temperture went up,

Would be worth while changing the thermoster? i can pick 1 up tomorow and get my local garage to change it?

saj8162
12-05-2008, 07:44 PM
sorry! Thats I did remmeber the fan kick in not didnt! :P

kite
13-05-2008, 08:39 AM
Could be a number of things on these cars.
Fan relay could be shot= fans not cutting in
Water pump vanes could be broken, they are plastic on the TT
Stuck thermostat= not opening.
Will @P,torque knows his TT's.

http://www.p-torque.co.uk/

saj8162
13-05-2008, 08:44 AM
Its not leaking any water!.. hot temperture inside of the car is fine!.. would it be a good idea to get the AA out, to have a look c if they can find out wht it could be? before going and buying a thermoster ?

kite
13-05-2008, 08:49 AM
You could call the AA and see if they can find the fault.
There's lots on the TT overhaeting probs on the TT forum
http://www.tt-forum.co.uk/ttforumbbs/

saj8162
13-05-2008, 08:54 AM
cheers kite! i think i will do tht! ill give them a ring after work, it wont cost me anything, might as well use them as i pay for them anyway! and ill post up wht they say on here! thanks!

kite
14-05-2008, 01:19 PM
Well....did the AA man find out what was wrong ?

mluton
14-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Could be a knackered waterpump as above

saj8162
14-05-2008, 07:17 PM
Went to mates shop who sells car bits and bobs, got sum advice from him, he said most likey to be a stickey thermostat, water is fine, oil is fine, not leaking or anything, cant be radiator, fan is kicking in, checked tht today, if u drive slowly car temperture stays on the middle soon as u give it sum gas an speed up its starts to go up, goes up the the 3/4 mark near the red, then it would move slightly to the middle then go back up, so we think its the thermostat sticking hence why it comes back down an goes back up!

Well ive gota drop it off in the morning, the guy is changing the thermostat fingers crossed it is just that, will pick it back up around 6pm, so ill post up the result! when i get back home tomorow sumtime!

saj8162
15-05-2008, 07:57 PM
Just picked up the car:(... Wasnt the thermostat,...before temperture would go to the 3/4 mark, hovering near the red, now it goes to red, and light flahes on the dash for temperture overheating! i didnt drive it around just home,

The mechanic said, its cuz when flushed out the water the water in the block got drained, an cuz its not circulating or sumfin!

Theres no hot air now, told theres a air lock, was told the water pump is knackered and not pushing the water around! so cudnt get rid of the air lock,

so now gota change the water pump, expensive job? any1 can recommend any decent garages around coventry worth taking it to?

getting stressed out now!

mluton
15-05-2008, 08:48 PM
You might as well have the cambelt done at the same tim, as the same work is needed.

Should get it done for £300 from an independant.

Have you had the cambelt done at any stage ????

saj8162
15-05-2008, 10:01 PM
yea it was done on its last service, they have to change the cambelt when they do the water pump! i just pray after spending tht money its solves the problem!

mluton
16-05-2008, 08:27 AM
I take it they never did the waterpump at the last cam belt change.

It must look like this.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/jason-p/piccies091.jpg

saj8162
16-05-2008, 08:05 PM
good point, ill check the service history book, im sure the last service was major service, its all main dealer, its on 73k now due for service, got quated today £285 all in for water pump and cambelt etc,

cambelt kit are about £120.. so expensive for a bit of plastic, as soon as i mentioned it to the guy about overheating he said its the water pump the impellar breaks off as they are plastic, common fualt on audi's and the vw's, said most people change the thermostat 1st, just gota find the £280 and get it done asap, need a service as well, having a bad month!

mluton
16-05-2008, 08:43 PM
They do a metal impeller waterpump. I have had this installed on mine.

Cambelt is not part of a service, its down as an advisory item. Looks like you caught it in time. Remember 4 years or 60,000 miles for next time.

At least you've identified the problem. Let us know how you get on.

saj8162
16-05-2008, 08:45 PM
haha yea!..gona get it done next week sumtime! if it fix's the problem ill post it on here! so next time any1 has the same problem at least they know wht is wrong with it!

saj8162
21-05-2008, 09:26 AM
Good news!:D

Car is all fixed!.. it was the water pump, the plasic impeller has broken off on the back, New water pump, New thermostat, Cambelt change, Full service done as well, picked it up yesterday!

Car puurs now, drives beautiful, so am in a happy mood today, even tho cost me a a few £, was all worth it!

Just like to thank every1 for there help who posted there comments on here! If any1 has a simular problem as mine, its 99% the water pump!

cheers :beerchug:

mluton
21-05-2008, 10:40 AM
Nice on mate. Now others can identify one of the factors causing engine failure.

Even though it cost a few bob, its worth it, Imagine if youe engine had gone pop.

Would have been thousands not hundreds spent.

One job that you should never be a cheapscate over.

keep enjoying the TT.