PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Anti-spyware software needed!

Dee-GTI
12-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Just got AVG for virus protection as the old subscription on norton run out. In need of some anti-spyware and i've heard there are a few good ones out there. Pref free! Anyone know of any?

=Cheers

STEWY L
12-05-2008, 06:35 PM
have you tried "spybot" that's a free download.

RickT
12-05-2008, 07:09 PM
Also... Microsoft have their own which is free with a vaild copy of XP from their site.. Windows Defender..

Rick

kimandsally
12-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Avast is a very good antivirus which I have used on mnay PC's without any problems, free version is the one I use.
Adaware is good for spyware.

hagis
12-05-2008, 11:56 PM
Yup, I'd recommend Ad-Aware too.

MalcQV
13-05-2008, 08:54 AM
Just got AVG for virus protection as the old subscription on norton run out. In need of some anti-spyware and i've heard there are a few good ones out there. Pref free! Anyone know of any?

=Cheers
Did the exact same with ours a few months back. I still have a McAfee anti-Virus in a box unused but prefer AVG. I have the latest copy of Spybot (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html) which I highly recommend

craig8661
13-05-2008, 08:57 AM
anything as long as not norton lol i find spybot good then avg as virus killer even better panda but you have to pay for that one

prolfe
13-05-2008, 02:49 PM
Spybot everytime. Download, update and install.

Immunize and sort out your startup files. using, tools and advanced.

You can run this from the start, run box:

*The program location is an example*

"c:\example files\spybot search and example\spybotexample1.52.exe" /autocheck /autofix /autoimmunize /taskbarhide /autoclose

With those switches you can run it in the background and walk off for 30 minutes.

If you need to see a progress then leave out the /taskbarhide switch

Use the tea timer protection as well.

Then:

Download Firefox, and the add-on called NOSCRIPT.

That way you'll only have to spybot your PC once a year, as you'll have no spyware or malware.

if you continue to use Internet Explorer then spybot your PC once a week.

As for adaware, I didn't find it as good as spybot. We no longer use it.

If you can afford it then buy Antivirus from Sophos.

Oh and i'm a Systems Engineer.

Dee-GTI
14-05-2008, 08:49 AM
Cheers all, appreciated.

Sam
14-05-2008, 11:08 AM
Remove every single trace of Norton if you can. It infests everything slowly strangling your PC from the inside out.

In my opinion :)

onzarob
14-05-2008, 11:13 AM
I run AVG free with windows defender. I have had no issues with spyware:D

I agree with you Sam on Norton, 'Strangleware'

Dee-GTI
14-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Yeah i have noticed big improvments since norton is now gone!

ini
14-05-2008, 02:15 PM
This week i ave been mostly using spybot & Kaspersky, with a software firewall on all lan machines (for outgoing), NAT and hardware firewall for incoming.

For best security ditch IE or severely limit its functionality, better yet dont use windows at all.

Running virtual, or using a read only snapshot/static image everyday removes any need for most long term protection.

Sam
14-05-2008, 02:31 PM
This week i ave been mostly using spybot & Kaspersky, with a software firewall on all lan machines (for outgoing), NAT and hardware firewall for incoming.

For best security ditch IE or severely limit its functionality, better yet dont use windows at all.

Running virtual, or using a read only snapshot/static image everyday removes any need for most long term protection.

<sigh of relief>

I didn't want to be the one that got geeky, so thanks :)

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=8633

Few ideas for alternatives in the thread above.

prolfe
14-05-2008, 03:59 PM
Remove every single trace of Norton if you can. It infests everything slowly strangling your PC from the inside out.

In my opinion :)

I agree, norton needs to go, manually if necessary.

It's like a bloomin virus the way it gets into your pc.

And the same goes for AO,bloomin L

Ben
14-05-2008, 05:20 PM
I'm quite happy with IE7, together with AVG free, zonealarm free, adaware free, and i use spybot aswell also free.

prolfe
14-05-2008, 06:00 PM
I'm quite happy with IE7, together with AVG free, zonealarm free, adaware free, and i use spybot aswell also free.

Ditch IE7 and use firefox with NoScript - you'll see really fast browsing then, also as you exit firefox it deletes all history, cookies, passwords for websites etc etc.

And for the sites that you know are safe: use Apple Safari - even quicker than Firefox.

:)

Clinterous
14-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Kaspersky Internet Security V7 all the way - you can buy it from Aria for peanuts.

amu55
15-05-2008, 01:01 AM
I Have tried many free versions and am now using prevx which is way above any others I have tried just runs in the background with no interfierance checks comp at start up then moniters.Dont know if you can still download free but well worth the £15 or so......:beerchug:

Sam
15-05-2008, 10:28 AM
And for the sites that you know are safe: use Apple Safari - even quicker than Firefox.

:)

Hmm, that's where I'm not so sold. Tried it on a few machines (XP SP2 desktop, XP SP3 desktop, and Vista SP1 desktop) and hated everything about it.

Paid-for addons?! Jog on Apple :D

RickT
15-05-2008, 11:11 AM

Anything Apple.. I try to stay away from....

prolfe
15-05-2008, 04:21 PM
Hmm, that's where I'm not so sold. Tried it on a few machines (XP SP2 desktop, XP SP3 desktop, and Vista SP1 desktop) and hated everything about it.

Oh...

Well, I have had it for about two months now and I think it's great, like with anything Apple, it looks beautiful.

Socket2000
17-05-2008, 07:39 AM
I had a freind who's PC was littered with spyware, I found that Spyware Doctor was the only one that cleaned it up. There's a free version too, which doesn't protect real time but still allows you to scan anytime you want. It's what I use.

Steve

tornadored7
23-05-2008, 10:32 PM
Just a quick note; Lavasoft have released AdAware 2008.

<RelatedPost Ad-Aware 2008 RTM/RTW (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=38058) />

[Aside to audience]: I wonder if anyone will notice my not so subtle attempts to convert this forum into an IT forum ?

Dee-GTI
26-05-2008, 12:12 PM
I see that AVG will no longer be doing the upgrades for AVG free

omegadirective
26-05-2008, 04:41 PM
AVG do the updates for free. You just have to wait a little longer for them. It's not long, something like a week.

AVG and Commodo Firewall. Install those 2 on your computer ensuring you have a CLEAN PC and you won't need a spyware program. Commodo is not very CPU intensive. AVG is great and has always picked up any virus' I've had on my computer since I've been building and running my own computer for years. I've only ever had ONE virus.

AVG and Commodo. Can't go wrong. As long as you aren't one of these people who think: "Ooooohhhh, free screensavers!". If you are one of these people, you deserve the virus' and spyware you get from them! :D

Dee-GTI
28-05-2008, 07:01 PM
Dont know about anyone else but i keep getting a message saying that AVG 7.5 updates will no longer be available after may. You have to Download AVG 8.0 Which is not free!

Time to change again i think lol

omegadirective
28-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Dont know about anyone else but i keep getting a message saying that AVG 7.5 updates will no longer be available after may. You have to Download AVG 8.0 Which is not free!

Time to change again i think lol

AVG 8.0 IS free. The IMMEDIATE updates are not. To get INSTANT updates the moment they are released you have to pay. You get the same updates a short while after. It is not normally more than a month later. It has never let me down and I am using it right now with no subscription.

Providing you are sensible and make sure your router or PC has an adequate firewall you have nothing to worry about. It's the people who don't safeguard their own computers then complain about getting virus' all the time I don't understand. When you try and fix their computer you find the download called "Hot Babes Screensaver" or "Waterfall Screensaver" and you just sigh inside...

MalcQV
28-05-2008, 07:28 PM
It looks like the free version may be dis-continued as when you follow the links there does not seen to be a free download.

edited: Read Omegadirective's post. Maybe I will wait and see.

omegadirective
28-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Nope, it's still there:

AVG Free Edition (http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition#tba2)

Just keep clicking the links to the free edition. Hosted on CNET now.

MalcQV
28-05-2008, 07:34 PM
^^ Cheers ^^

omegadirective
28-05-2008, 07:35 PM
^^ Cheers ^^

You're welcome! :D

onzarob
28-05-2008, 11:03 PM
AVG is always free, they just hide the download in a tiny corner,because they would rather sell it ;)

http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download?prd=afe

I usually type AVG free into google which get me to the right place quicker.:D

Sam
29-05-2008, 09:57 AM
AVG 8 is complete bilge.

Here's a post I made on another forum about the "fun" I've had and am having with it; http://forums.hexus.net/operating-systems-applications/137181-grisoft-why-oh-why-oh-why-avg-8-content.html

onzarob
29-05-2008, 10:53 AM
AVG 8 is complete bilge.

Here's a post I made on another forum about the "fun" I've had and am having with it; http://forums.hexus.net/operating-systems-applications/137181-grisoft-why-oh-why-oh-why-avg-8-content.html

I agree that is getting blotted, if you just want a lightwieght free scanner try Clamwin

http://www.clamwin.com/

I've used it in a few applications as it will run on a server as well ;)

Sam
29-05-2008, 12:07 PM
I went for KIS in the end Rob.

I use ClamAV on my Smoothwall server though ;)

MalcQV
29-05-2008, 12:47 PM
I will give it a try. I noticed with 7.5 I had a few performance issues at first. I can get Sophos for free as we use it at work. May give that a try.

onzarob
29-05-2008, 01:20 PM
I will give it a try. I noticed with 7.5 I had a few performance issues at first. I can get Sophos for free as we use it at work. May give that a try.

Sophos is a great product, highly recommend it :)

Ok Sam I will have a look at KIS not seen that one:D

Skeelsie
11-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Spybot search and destroy or Windows defender are good free options.

Also using Firefox or google chrome as your web browser gives you a better chance of safe browsing.

STEWY L
12-06-2009, 04:42 PM
when i bought this new computer i went into our local computer shop to buy norton.
the lad shook his head and told me he would never sell it to anyone!!
he advised that i downloaded the uninstall tool for mcafee ,get shot of all of it,
and download,for free,AVAST.
you need to regester it,but it costs nowt,though you will have to repeat the process
14mths later.
i did this and it's running great.it updates itself also.
would recommend to anyone,
regards,
stewy.

prolfe
20-07-2009, 06:26 PM
Anything that you buy is gonna be much better than anything free. With the exception of Norton. Don't use it, don't activate it, uninstall it.

We moved from recommending McAfee to Sophos as it's management is a lot easier in a network environment.

It also has the added benefit of allowing all licensed users at work to go home and install it there for NOWT. :)

As a user at home you can either choose Antivirus on its own or Antivirus plus Firewall.

It's best to let windows or your router do the firewall so the AV on its own is better.

As for effin Spyware and Malware, spybot is 2nd to none. Once you have cleaned your pc then Firefox plus an addon called NOSCRIPT will ensure your pc stays free of spy and malware.

If my dad can do it, then you can for sure.

Plus firefox is still 'the' quickest web browser bar none.

Oh................... hello again by the way.

:beerchug:

MalcQV
22-07-2009, 09:51 AM
We moved from recommending McAfee to Sophos as it's management is a lot easier in a network environment.

It also has the added benefit of allowing all licensed users at work to go home and install it there for NOWT. :)

As for effin Spyware and Malware, spybot is 2nd to none. Once you have cleaned your pc then Firefox plus an addon called NOSCRIPT will ensure your pc stays free of spy and malware.

Plus firefox is still 'the' quickest web browser bar none.

Oh................... hello again by the way.

Us too.
hello :p

Tractorman
24-07-2009, 10:11 AM
Sam is most certainly right - I have a machine strangled by the remains of Nortons. As I hardly use it (a 2200 Athlon), I haven't invested the time to completely clear it!

New version of Adaware is a lot better (it came out about a month ago).

Kaspersky is good, but it isn't free. I have three XP machines, so bought a three-user version (I think it was cheaper than AVG's site license).

Spybot is excellent! Sophos is used at work (and in amny other schools), so must be good!

a8 tech
24-07-2009, 11:51 AM
I use spy ware doctor paid up version and its easy and efficient also I use comit bird for browsing and I really like it and bit comet for downloads.I have used spy bot but I suffered a big virus and only spy ware doctor could sort it out and there tech team helped me so I have paid my money and use there software which run automatically without me having to mess about

weblink
24-07-2009, 11:20 PM
For your Anti-Spyware needs try .....

1. Malwarebytes

2. SUPERspyware (free edition)

And remember if you happen to have used Norton then its a MUST
to remove ALL traces from your Pc

Weblink