PDA

View Full Version : Question A4 Climate Control Cooling Fan - Problem

mejtaylor
12-05-2008, 11:25 AM
I have an A4 1.9 Tdi 1999. I haven't had the climate control working for over a year - the car was damaged and the air-con radiator had to be replaced, so the system has been empty of gas.

At the weekend i fitted a new radiator and had it re-gassed. Now the air-con cooling fan comes on every couple of minutes for about 20 seconds. It's pretty loud and it's never come on before.

Is this normal? I had an older a4 with climate control and I didn't notice it in that.

The climate control works though

Any ideas?

darkhorse1001
13-05-2008, 01:50 PM
are you sure its the fan making all that noise and not the clutch on the compressor kicking in/out? if the compressor has not been used for a while it may be noisy.

the ac fan will come on when required to get air flowing over the condenser when the car is at standstill.

you could try running the air con on econ, which will ensure the compressor does not come on, if it is quieter like that then it is probably the compressor/clutch making all the noise.

13-05-2008, 03:29 PM
I have had this exact problem and managed to fix it the other day. I found that under the pollen filter for the air con system there is a flap that changes from shut to open with air pressure. The flap had simple managed to get stuck and as a result no air could be sucked in by the circular fan. I was dreading a motor change because that happened on my golf v6 4motion and cost around £800 to repair. Remove the pollen filter housing which is to the right of the battery if you are looking at the car front on. Remove the pollen filter, clean it out and then turn on the air system to check the fan does actually work. Play around with the flap and it should start working.

darkhorse1001
13-05-2008, 05:53 PM
doh!, i thought you were talking abut the second fan mounted to the radiator, not the blower for the interior cabin vents.

13-05-2008, 07:23 PM
Sorry didnt quite make it clear enough. Sounded ok in my head. Hope the flap advice helps