PDA

View Full Version : Question Weekends oil change / inspection

sherlockuk
12-05-2008, 08:33 AM
Saved myself a journey to the garage, by changing the filters and oil myself on my 02 tdi sport, but of course found some other problems while grovelling under the car... Good that I spotted them i suppose!

One of the cv boot gaiters has split and the other is perished.. Fortunately I have also planned to change the disks as they are knackered, so this can be done at the same time.

What I wanted to know is where to buy one of the tools for removing / installing the clamps for the gaiters, I could buy some jubilee clamps but thought that i may invest in a tool, instead of chopping them off and replacing every time.

Also the hub bolt uses what I can guess to be a 16mm hexagon drive. Am I right here? Just need to get myself the propper tooling for next weekend!

Also any tips on changing brakes and removing the cv gaiters would be great!

Thanks,

Tom.

daveo138
13-05-2008, 03:38 PM
There is plenty in the archives about replacing CV boots.

Try here for starters...
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=16265

The driveshaft bolts come in two sizes - 14mm and 17mm.

I went everywhere trying to find a tool for the CV boot clips. In the end, I used a pair of pincers to carefully squeeze the clips together.

sherlockuk
14-05-2008, 11:30 AM
Thanks mate, I looked at the hub hex drive bolt, and thought it was 16mm, but then I was guessing... Is there a need for such a long bar to get the thing off?? Or just does it require brute force and ignorance? :D

The guides look pretty comprehensive so should be ok with the aid of the Haynes book of lies as a reference. Also going to enlist my fathers help on the matter.. May get him to do one side while I do the other.. For a few beers of course ;)

Cheers, i'll let you know how it goes...

Tom.