PDA

View Full Version : Picking up my new '97 A4 TDi at lunchtime today !

capri_rob
12-05-2008, 07:13 AM
Hi Guys

Collecting my new A4 later on today ( can't wait ! )

Car is in excellent condition throughout, drives spot on and everything works - only problem is the trader who is selling it has no history for it - he got it as a main dealer P/Ex and the history seems to have vanished.

Mileage is showing 119k - The trader phoned Audi in Stoke On Trent ( the nearest dealer to him ) while I was there and they confirmed that the last time it went through the Dealer network for any servicing was in 2003 when the mileage was 93k - so showing 119k in 2008 would seem to me about right.

I'm sure others must have had this issue before ? - are the dealers friendly enough to give a printout of previous history /servicing ?

Obviously without this info I don't know if/when the cambelt was last done so can anyone give me an idea of cost on this ?

Apart from the need for me to fit a CD player the car needs noting else and I can't wait to put some miles on it !:D

Oh Yeah - also looking for an original owners manual/wallet - tried fleabay but suprisingly doesnt seem to be any available for older models - weird !!!

abbey
12-05-2008, 08:57 AM
Hi Guys

Collecting my new A4 later on today ( can't wait ! )

Car is in excellent condition throughout, drives spot on and everything works - only problem is the trader who is selling it has no history for it - he got it as a main dealer P/Ex and the history seems to have vanished.

Mileage is showing 119k - The trader phoned Audi in Stoke On Trent ( the nearest dealer to him ) while I was there and they confirmed that the last time it went through the Dealer network for any servicing was in 2003 when the mileage was 93k - so showing 119k in 2008 would seem to me about right.

I'm sure others must have had this issue before ? - are the dealers friendly enough to give a printout of previous history /servicing ?

Obviously without this info I don't know if/when the cambelt was last done so can anyone give me an idea of cost on this ?

Apart from the need for me to fit a CD player the car needs noting else and I can't wait to put some miles on it !:D

Oh Yeah - also looking for an original owners manual/wallet - tried fleabay but suprisingly doesnt seem to be any available for older models - weird !!!

You could try a quick letter to the last owners asking if they have the service handbook and owners manual. Try a alpine six disc changer with the audi head unit they work excellent, Ive had two of this model Audi A4 and they are lovely cars, only got rid to buy the newer shape.
Enjoy your purchase..

capri_rob
12-05-2008, 06:16 PM
Well got it - and I can't really find anything wrong with it - Fantastic news !

The coolant temp gauge seems to sit at about 80 degrees when warmed up - it did go up to 90 when in traffic but didnt go any higher and straight back down to 80 as soon as I started moving.

Oil temp gauge doesnt really go far off the bottom - again sits around 80 degrees but I seem to remember my old Audi Coupe oil temp gauge didnt move much either - I'm sure someone will tell me if its something I should worry about !

Only thing I need to do is fit a CD player asap - wiring doesnt look too bad - 2 of the factory looms still have the plugs on but the yellow plug appears to have been chopped about so will have to suss what that it.

On the whole extremely pleased !:biglaugh:

LK30v
12-05-2008, 06:40 PM
in 2003 when the mileage was 93k - so showing 119k in 2008

Up until 93k in 2003 the car has averaged 15,500 miles per year, so by my reckoning, if it's carried on for a further 5 years since then it should be reading about 170,000 miles. Not wishing to alarm you or anything, and it may be nothing to worry about, but there's a big difference in the mileage there. I'd personally get the belts done, and if the car is generally fine then just enjoy it. Audi's seem quite good at hiding their true mileage, eg. my friends A4 2.8 Quattro has done over 180k but doesn't look any different to when it had 100k miles on the clock.

Did you have the car HPi'd? Also, it might be possible to somehow check the recorded mileage by the previous MOT certificates which became computerised in around 2005/6.

shopkins
12-05-2008, 07:47 PM
Audi will be able to provide a printout of all work carried out by them FOC, it's about all you can get from them for no charge !!

capri_rob
12-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Up until 93k in 2003 the car has averaged 15,500 miles per year, so by my reckoning, if it's carried on for a further 5 years since then it should be reading about 170,000 miles. Not wishing to alarm you or anything, and it may be nothing to worry about, but there's a big difference in the mileage there. I'd personally get the belts done, and if the car is generally fine then just enjoy it. Audi's seem quite good at hiding their true mileage, eg. my friends A4 2.8 Quattro has done over 180k but doesn't look any different to when it had 100k miles on the clock.

Did you have the car HPi'd? Also, it might be possible to somehow check the recorded mileage by the previous MOT certificates which became computerised in around 2005/6.

Just been on MOT website and checked history - annual mileage since electronic testing has been much lower than 15k so would seem to stack up - am going to ring my local dealer tomorrow and see if someone nice on the service desk can give me a print out of sevice/repair work done through the dealer network

MankyManning
13-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Audi will be able to provide a printout of all work carried out by them FOC, it's about all you can get from them for no charge !!

Can any Audi garage do this regardless of where it was serviced or does it have to be at the garage it was serviced at? I have a full audi service history on the car I just bought but it was serviced in Stockton where as I live in Harrogate.

capri_rob
14-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Can any Audi garage do this regardless of where it was serviced or does it have to be at the garage it was serviced at? I have a full audi service history on the car I just bought but it was serviced in Stockton where as I live in Harrogate.

I believe that any Audi main dealer can do this as they are all linked to a central computer system.

Done a round trip to Manchester and back today ( 150 mile run ) car has performed perfectly - however I think the thermostat needs replacing as temp ranges from 70 - 80 degrees but never goes up to the 90 degrees I believe is correct.

Also got Ins1 coming up in the trip meter when I first switch on the car - Im guessing this means its due a service - so going to find an independent who can do these bits together with a cambelt change then I will be set !

Still very pleased - glad I didnt buy a diesel vectra or mondeo anyway !:aargh4:

capri_rob
16-05-2008, 03:36 PM

Success at my local Audi dealer getting service history printoff today ( many thanks to the nice girl on the service desk at Sutton Coldfield Audi ). I am now satisfied that the just turned 120k on the clock is accurate thanks to a combination of whats on the HPi Report, the electronic MOT register and what I have been given today in terms of dealer history.

Spent just over £80 at the parts desk on cambelt, tensioner, thermostat & O ring and a genuine oil filter. Will probably get air and pollen filters & lubricants//coolant from GSF.

Got a quote of £330 for the cambelt at an independent:zx11: which I thought was steep so have enlisted a friend who has a Passat with the same engine as my A4 and who I know has done the job himself successfully.