PDA

View Full Version : Golf mk3 central locking not working

jonathon 1806
09-05-2008, 07:58 PM
Hi , i have a golf mk3 and the central locking no longer works and it also has some problems starting . The clock goes to zero when i start the engine and makes a buzzing noise when i put the key in and turn . I have changed the battery but it is still the same . Dont want to take it to a garage cos i know it will most likely cost a lot . Any advice . Thanks.

Islander
14-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Strangely enough, I had this problem yesterday. In the fusebox under the instrument panel there is a fuse for interior lights, cigarette lighter, etc. This also seems to be for the central locking. It's a 15 amp fuse, just check the back of the fuse cover.

Had exactly the same symptoms - clock & trip resetting, buzzing noise behind the display, etc.

Fuse changed - all sorted. Hope this is of help.

buzby
14-06-2008, 03:58 PM
i think your suffering from the usual vw problem of bad earths and switches. check all earth connection on engine and body as these
will not allow full power to utilised from battery causing a voltage drop
when turn ignition. check connections on starter motor these also
corrode ignition switches are also a problem as the contacts burn over time from too much amps going through a cheap switch (strange for VW) :zx11:
to confirm switch problem (these are cheap and easily replaced) and not a
more expensive starter problem. bridge across solenoid on starter ie, from main feed from battery to push on connection this effectively bypasses ignition switch. starter should crank over