PDA

View Full Version : Rough idling

alienkidmj12
09-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Could someone assist me, im a bit lost now, when i drive my car, sometimes it is really responsive, sometimes its feels like its a slug. I have a 1.9 tdi passat 51 plate S at 105bhp. Ive noticed when it drives like a slug it has a rough idle, i have replaced the MAF, MAP sensors, and tried putting dielectric grease on the contacts to stop damp getting in. Is there any other sensors i should be looking for as im loosing some patience here, it has done 150,000 mile but that doesnt explain why sometimes its great to drive and others its not. I have no major oil leaks im aware of. With the symptyms, i can rule out worn piston heads and stuff like that, im thinking its something simple somewhere, but cant put my hand on it, any advice would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

vincentbob
09-05-2008, 08:15 PM
You need to have the car scanned for faults, I just blindly changed MAF and Map sensors like you have which made no difference. My PD130 was behaving like yours, I finally got a cheap EBay cable and the shareware version of Vagcom. I found the water temp sensor was duff; I replaced it and the car has been transformed, and the fuel consumption is also back where it was.
This might not be your problem, but without the diagnostics you are just wasting your time and money.

alienkidmj12
09-05-2008, 08:19 PM
You need to have the car scanned for faults, I just blindly changed MAF and Map sensors like you have which made no difference. My PD130 was behaving like yours, I finally got a cheap EBay cable and the shareware version of Vagcom. I found the water temp sensor was duff; I replaced it and the car has been transformed, and the fuel consumption is also back where it was.
This might not be your problem, but without the diagnostics you are just wasting your time and money.

where do i get the shareware version of vagcom ? i have an elm 327 box for reading faults, but i cannot find software to work with it, i was going to try cleaning the throttle body too, but unsure where that is, can you direct me to some software for the elm 327, thanks, im sure i tried this once but it was not showing faults, unless it was the software i was using, there are no fault lights on the dashboard at all.

alienkidmj12
10-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Ok folks, ive had my elm327 plugged in and no faults are showing whilst standing still, i did however see the engine management light come on about a week ago, but only for a short period. Any ideas anyone ?