PDA

View Full Version : Please Help No voltage at glow plugs or fule cut off solenoid

martyg
09-05-2008, 09:55 AM
hi
recently purchased a 1997 audi a4 tdi 110 with a damaged engine off my uncle. i fitted a new engine but it would not start my mate looked at it and said i had the fuel cut off solenoid wire on the wrong place (the wiring and the head was off the car when purchased) so he corrected it but no power was going to the solinoid now so he bypassed it (fed a live into the solinoid) so we could hear the engine running and it did just nicley. i built the car back up and on its maiden trip it wouldnt start and now there is no voltage at the glow plugs?? all fuses ok, relay wasent working but when taken out of relay box and tested on the bench it was fine but not fine in relay box?? the fuel cut off is still bypassed. all connections checked and ok vag sealy tool showing up nothing apart from the fuel cut off!!!! would it be the ecu as the relay and the fuel cut off both go into this?? the immobiliser is ok as well. my mate rekons the relay for the glow plugs dosent seem to be getting an earth when in the relay box??? and no broken wires either all checked!!!HELP

kenney
09-05-2008, 10:41 AM
What is your engine code?

martyg
09-05-2008, 11:13 AM
AFN is the engine code

kenney
09-05-2008, 12:14 PM
The glow plug relay gets its informasjon from the ECU,which in turn gets the information from the temp sensor IF and when the glow plug relay should activate,above a certain temp the glow system is not operative.The fact that you have no power on the stop valve is part of your problem.If it were the immo which was causing the fault,at least the engine would start only to stop again.Check fuse 5 in the 3-point relay carrier (electronics box):

martyg
09-05-2008, 01:24 PM
all fuses in the 3 pin relay box checked they are 100%

martyg
09-05-2008, 02:52 PM
could it possibly still be the immobiliser even though the light on the dash is going out and the vag sealy tool isnt showing immobiliser ??

kenney
09-05-2008, 05:28 PM
As i said had it been the immo,the engine would have started and stopped again,are you getting any sign of life.Did the car run ok and then stop while you were driving or was it that you could not start it after you had test driven it.I have a wiring diagram of the ECU if you can understand it,i can send it by email????????????

martyg
09-05-2008, 05:39 PM
the car engine was fited but it would not start we discovered no power was going to the fuel cut off solinoid but there was to the glow plugs so the solinoid was wired direct so we could hear the engine running to make sure the engine i bought was ok and it fired up and we ran it for a minute or so as i had no rad hooked to it. i kept the solinoid wired direct with a switch (no break in the solinoid wire as this was checked yet no power was going to it and all fuses checked) i continued to rebuild the front of the car and when completed and i was filling with fluids i went to start it and nothing????? my mate came up and he said that we have lost power to the glow plugs but yet they were working the nite before when we started the engine???? he has checked all fuses and relays etc but he is determined there is no earth at the relay box as the glow plug relay is not clicking in the box but it is on the bench again all fuses etc checkd and nothing???? if i cant find the problem i am also going to bypas the heater system for the plugs and put in a heater box and wire direct

kenney
09-05-2008, 06:34 PM
Remove the contact on the temp sensor and check glow plugs,with it removed,but iam fairly sure with the temp we have now, this engine should start without the glow plugs

martyg
12-05-2008, 05:22 PM
by jesus kenny ye are the star the 110 on the road for her first lap at the weekend thanks
p.s are they self bleeding water sytem ???in them i see no bleeding nipples on any water hoses etc

shorty197
25-11-2010, 09:02 PM
Hi i think i might have the same problem i have no voltage at my glow plugs can you tell me which relay is the heater plugs relay my car is a 1998 1.9 (AFN) thanks .

burkey1
25-11-2010, 09:40 PM
Hi i think i might have the same problem i have no voltage at my glow plugs can you tell me which relay is the heater plugs relay my car is a 1998 1.9 (AFN) thanks .

Relay is J52. I would try fuse S39 first though.

shorty197
25-11-2010, 09:55 PM
Relay is J52. I would try fuse S39 first though.

thanks for the quick reply ,i will check fuse 39 what is this fuse for?

cheers shorty

burkey1
25-11-2010, 10:00 PM
its fuse S39 (fuse for glow plugs). It should be an 80A fuse.

Its in the 3 point relay carrier (electronics box) position 9

shorty197
25-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Thanks for that i was wondering which fuse was for heater plugs as i could not find anything in my owners manual, i will post tomarrow when i test fuse and thanks again