PDA

View Full Version : Corrado leaking water

maxedw
08-05-2008, 04:21 PM
Hi all
I have a Corrado 1.8 G60 leaking water from the pipe leading from the top of the rad to the engine.It's a plasting housing with two leads plugged into it (presumably sensors).Is this the thermosat housing ? I need to replace it and want to make sure I order the right part.Tried instant gasket but no joy.

any help is appreciated

Cheers
Maxedw

erico
13-05-2008, 02:19 PM
Hi all
I have a Corrado 1.8 G60 leaking water from the pipe leading from the top of the rad to the engine.It's a plasting housing with two leads plugged into it (presumably sensors).Is this the thermosat housing ? I need to replace it and want to make sure I order the right part.Tried instant gasket but no joy.

any help is appreciated

Cheers
Maxedw
Can you post a photo of it?

I have the Bentley manual for 1990-94 covering all models and owned a 1992 Corrado SLC for eight years.

From your description it almost sounds like the cooling fan thermoswitch, which has a connector with two electrical connections. It is mounted on the engine side of the radiator. The thermostat housing is mounted on the engine...not on the radiator. Your description is a tad confusing.

On the Thermostat housing there are two senders mounted to it that are secured with metal clips and rubber o-rings that could leak after deteriorating with age. Instant gasket will not help...only replacement of the parts will stop the leak. unless you are a truy lucky individual. The Thermostat housing also wears out with age and engine heat.

Cheers,
Eric

maxedw
13-05-2008, 07:06 PM
alright erico,

yeah I agree the description is confusing - kinda hard to describe.I think it's called some kind of water flange with the rubber o-ring that meets the block on the rad side of the engine.

I haven't checked the other t-stat housing but your probably on the ball- at the moment it's impossible to keep water in it.

Looks like genuine parts......
If i can figure out how to upload photos i'll post a photo but i'd say the way you're talkin that I know the part I need.

cheers
maxedw

erico
13-05-2008, 07:47 PM
alright erico,

yeah I agree the description is confusing - kinda hard to describe.I think it's called some kind of water flange with the rubber o-ring that meets the block on the rad side of the engine.

I haven't checked the other t-stat housing but your probably on the ball- at the moment it's impossible to keep water in it.

Looks like genuine parts......
If i can figure out how to upload photos i'll post a photo but i'd say the way you're talkin that I know the part I need.

cheers
maxedw
Here are images of body and engine side cooling system components.

cheers,
erico

daimatt
16-05-2008, 08:52 PM
That isn't the thermostat housing, it holds the blue and black temp sensors (water temp to ecu and dash respectively) good idea to change the O ring and elbow at the radiator end of that pipe too, they crack with age too.

Robin K-S
16-05-2008, 11:57 PM
If its the plastic union that joins the top pipe from the rad to the front of the block with a couple of senders on it then they're a few £'s & they often go, as they warp with the heat. It went on my wifes Corrado, then on my Audi & then on my Scirocco, all in the space of a couple of months. Needless to say I can now change 1 in moments. Check Eurocarparts or GSF.
Hope this helps
Robin
Sound advice from Daimatt, always chacge the O ring.