PDA

View Full Version : Diesel injector cleaner

tyberwan
08-05-2008, 12:00 PM
Hi

I have seen supermarkets promoting diesel injector cleaners to pour into a full tank of diesel. Are these in general reliable and won't damage further the engine or injectors? Has anyone tried these and are the response good? I have changed 2 injectors recently and I want to make sure that the other 2 which are about 6 years old, can get a good maintenance and keep shape for many years to come.

thanks

Marco34
08-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Hi

I've used forte diesel treatment for a few years. I use it at every service, 6 months. It's supposed to be very good and not generally available at outlets.

Ben Williamson of Sports tech and regular Audi mag columnist uses it. It helps keep injectors clean giving a good burn and thus preventing clogging, on Turbos and EGR etc. You can always find it on ebay. RRP is about £11-12. Add to a low tank and add about £10 on top not a full tank. I apllied direct into my fuel filter last year as most servicing places will do.

Sometimes I add a splash of Millers DSP4. This is a cetane booster and has similar affects but not as good as Forte.

Marco

omegadirective
08-05-2008, 02:57 PM
You might want to consider using the Shell Diesel V-Power once in a while as well. The V-Power products have big benefits over the normal fuel. They include injector cleaner, which may not be as good as some of the products Marco34 has mentioned, but used regularly enough certainly do the trick.

If you've had to replace 2 injectors, you will probably have some crap built up around your older injectors. Use the aforementioned products, then every 4th tank put in some V-Power Diesel or something like that.

Marco34
08-05-2008, 03:28 PM
You might want to consider using the Shell Diesel V-Power once in a while as well. The V-Power products have big benefits over the normal fuel. They include injector cleaner, which may not be as good as some of the products Marco34 has mentioned, but used regularly enough certainly do the trick.

If you've had to replace 2 injectors, you will probably have some crap built up around your older injectors. Use the aforementioned products, then every 4th tank put in some V-Power Diesel or something like that.

Yep I'll second that :beerchug: I do the same. I've filled with Shell V-Power more often lately for those free Ferrari cars :)

adamss24
09-05-2008, 09:41 AM
You should have ballanced and test the sparay pattern on the other 2 as well...

omegadirective
09-05-2008, 10:27 AM
The free Ferrari toys are absolute cr*p. Cannot believe Ferrari endorse them. Having said that, I still have 3 of the cars to claim...

Marco34
09-05-2008, 09:54 PM
The free Ferrari toys are absolute cr*p. Cannot believe Ferrari endorse them. Having said that, I still have 3 of the cars to claim...

I wouldn't say there were that bad! They would look better red rather than the odd dark red. They look very red in the promotional photos :zx11:

thefreak
10-05-2008, 12:09 AM
Ben Williamson of Sports tech and regular Audi mag columnist uses it. It helps keep injectors clean giving a good burn and thus preventing clogging, on Turbos and EGR etc. You can always find it on ebay. RRP is about £11-12. Add to a low tank and add about £10 on top not a full tank. I apllied direct into my fuel filter last year as most servicing places will do.

I wish he'd return my call.
He's my mate's brother and I want to get the car over to him to get the cambelt, clutch and general service but he's pretending to be ill at the mo :D

Marco34
10-05-2008, 09:15 PM
I wish he'd return my call.
He's my mate's brother and I want to get the car over to him to get the cambelt, clutch and general service but he's pretending to be ill at the mo :D

Nice one... sounds a good place to go to me!!! :beerchug:

The Glove
10-05-2008, 09:27 PM
Hi

I've used forte diesel treatment for a few years. I use it at every service, 6 months. It's supposed to be very good and not generally available at outlets.

Sometimes I add a splash of Millers DSP4. This is a cetane booster and has similar affects but not as good as Forte.

Marco

Started to use the fortes diesel treatment on my car last year, very good stuff. :D

bez101
10-05-2008, 09:50 PM
i use winns no idea if it works never had a prob with injectors so might work might not

Turbokiisseli
11-05-2008, 10:14 AM
New member from Finland reporting :)

I have used Sonax and CRC brand diesel system cleaners. I actually did a small test with my old A4 B5 w/ AFN engine. I had to drive 600km for work and I new I had to make the same trip again in a month. So the first time around I didn't use injector cleaner. The first time the average fuel consumption was 5.7l / 100km which equals about 1.25gals / 62miles = 50MPG. Before the next trip I added diesel system cleaner and my average was 5.3l / 100km which equals 1.167gals / 62miles = 53MPG

At least the cleaners sold here claim to raise the cetane figure of diesel, which leads to a cleaner burn and thus better economy and less hazardous fumes. I also noticed that the engine sounded alot smoother than before.

Now, obviously if these substances only increased the cetane figure your consumption would be back to normal once you've driven all of the substance out of the system. My average consumption went back up to about 5.4l / 100km once I had driven about 1000km and the substance had been used up. That's still 0.3l less than before so they do clean the system as well. With diesels, the smaller the drop size of the injected fuel the better it burns.

tyberwan
12-05-2008, 02:41 PM
You should have ballanced and test the sparay pattern on the other 2 as well...

Hi

How would I do that? It needs to be done in a garage, doesn't it?

thanks

stevee_p
02-09-2008, 11:15 AM
Hi,
I am having a similar problem, and have been told that changing the injectors may sort the problem.
Any ideas how difficult it is to do this? Is it something I could do myself, or is it a garage job? And where's the best place to get hold of them from?

I drive a golf 2001 gt tdi 115bhp by the way.
Thanks

tyberwan
04-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Before changing the injectors, you must at least try and see if that is the real problem through Vagcom.

I have read that sometimes it could be loose wiring connection to the injectors if you have done a cylinder head job or sometimes injector seals needing replacement. If it's neither one or the other, then may be Vagcom could signal a fault in the car cylinder which may indicate a faulty injector.

A good garage will try and test a new injector as replacement and see if that sorts the problem. It is quite costly to change one and I think you need to do it at the garage as it is a cylinder head job and need to use Vagcom again to read the codes after change.