PDA

View Full Version : Air Con

dadsgotapassat
08-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Just when the weather turns warm the air con packs up! Typical!

My Dad's air con is not working on his Passat. Is there anyway to find out what exactly is wrong with it. He doesn't really want to go out and buy a can of gas, if that's not what the problem is.

It's a 1.9 TDI 1998.

:1zhelp:

Many thanks.

P.S. I think I may have posted this in the wrong bit!

erico
13-05-2008, 06:44 PM
Just when the weather turns warm the air con packs up! Typical!

My Dad's air con is not working on his Passat. Is there anyway to find out what exactly is wrong with it. He doesn't really want to go out and buy a can of gas, if that's not what the problem is.

It's a 1.9 TDI 1998.

:1zhelp:

Many thanks.

P.S. I think I may have posted this in the wrong bit!

In the engine bay there is a sight glass close to the low pressure filler valve. Take a look(after you clean it off with a cloth) to see if you can see any liquid(that would be Freon). If you don't see anything there is probably little or no freon. It is difficult to tell without the A/C operating.The pressure switches in the airconditioning system act as a safeguard to the compressor to ensure that it won't run and smoke check itself. The long and short is that if there isn't enough Freon the compressor will not run. The loud click that you hear when using an working automotive A/C system is the solenoid operated clutch of the compressor as it cycles on and off. The first requirement for checking the system pressures (both Hi and Lo sides) is that you have enough Freon in the A/C sytem for it to operate.

If you are not certified to use it... by law, in the US and most European countries, a parts store cannot and won't even sell you a can of Freon. Your best bet, if you do not have a working knowlege of and/or are not certified to work on A/C systems is to leave the job to someone who is. The pressure on the discharge side of the compressor and the Freon itself are both quite dangerous to the uninitiated.

If you get caught evacuating an A/C system of Freon to the atmoshpere instead of using a RobinAir or other Freon Recycling/Charging unit you can be hit with a pretty severe fine. Freon gas is poisonous if heated.

I am really not meaning to lecture or scare you. I just would like to make sure that you really understand what you are dealing with. Air conditioning is really pleasant but it uses some truly dangerous stuff to provide that pleasantly cool air that we so enjoy in summer.

Cheers,
Eric

dadsgotapassat
14-05-2008, 11:59 AM
Thanks Eric. Dad decided to get it checked at a garage in the end, and it just needed topping up. Many thanks for your help :)

erico
14-05-2008, 12:44 PM
Thanks Eric. Dad decided to get it checked at a garage in the end, and it just needed topping up. Many thanks for your help :)
You're welcome. :DYour Dad is a wise man.
cheers,
Eric