PDA

View Full Version : How do I get a code for my radio?

NickPicks
08-05-2008, 09:28 AM
I had to disconnect the battery to clear the drain holes and stop the footwell getting wet (That'll be an A6 then), and the radio is now in safe mode.

The local Audi dealer wants £25 to supply the code for me, despite the fact that the handbook says they'll do it for free - they say "that only applies for the original owner"!

Is there any way of finding out the code without having to pay them, or do I just have to bite the bullet and give the main dealer some money?

Thanks.

Issac Hunt
08-05-2008, 01:11 PM
Try a few other Audi dealers, have you contacted the dealer that supplied the car? they might be more helpful.

kenney
08-05-2008, 06:37 PM
Sorry but bite the bullet

nickfear
08-05-2008, 06:47 PM
search the net mate.

RickT
08-05-2008, 11:42 PM
My mate called VW for his the other day before we fitted a bluetooth car kit as his is missingfrom the book..

VW said, bring the car up and we will give you the code.

Rick

nickyboy4
09-05-2008, 09:09 AM
if you're still struggling try the techwatch forums-they're a helpful bunch on there!

kenney
09-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Hi it stands to reason VW can not just hand out radio codes to just anybody,they have regulations which have to be maintained.What if someone has stolen a radio,rang the dealer and asked for the code.In our workshop if a customer,who we do not know asks for a code,he has to produce I.D. and proof that the vehicle is his.

NickPicks
09-05-2008, 10:18 AM
I understand that they need proof of ID and ownership. What I begrudge is that they want £25 to look it up on a database, which probably takes less time and effort than the 2 sentances I've just typed.

I needed a code for my old renault, and the dealer gave it to me for free. It took him about 30 seconds.

kenney
09-05-2008, 10:28 AM
It is a matter of good will.A customer who has bought his car from us we do not charge for a radio code.A complete stranger,we charge a small fee.Regarding your old Renault,which i dare say was many moons ago,it is now an entirely different system,you will not get a radio code in 30 seconds.