PDA

View Full Version : Climatronic Display flashing

davejcb
08-05-2008, 07:43 AM
When i start the car, the climatronic display flashes for 20-30 seconds then the fans start. However the temperature doesnt get any way near as cold as it should. I know the trick to get in to read the climatronic by pressing Econ, Cooler, Fan Speed Down, that seems to give me the readings from various sensors. Holding Circ and Aircon gives a whole load of readings, but i'm not sure where to start , there must be at least 120 of them. The next thing is the 2nd fan, the smaller one to the left on the radiatior isnt spinning even when the aircon is on full, I am guessing this is to do with the air conditioning as my mates car without airconditioning doesnt have one.

Does anyone have any ideas??

Cheers

caldirun
08-05-2008, 08:59 AM
When i start the car, the climatronic display flashes for 20-30 seconds then the fans start. However the temperature doesnt get any way near as cold as it should. I know the trick to get in to read the climatronic by pressing Econ, Cooler, Fan Speed Down, that seems to give me the readings from various sensors. Holding Circ and Aircon gives a whole load of readings, but i'm not sure where to start , there must be at least 120 of them. The next thing is the 2nd fan, the smaller one to the left on the radiatior isnt spinning even when the aircon is on full, I am guessing this is to do with the air conditioning as my mates car without airconditioning doesnt have one.

Cheers
The fan on the right of the radiator is for the air con condensor, it should run when Auto is selected and the clutch should engage on the compressor (if you look down below the fan you will see a multi vee pulley this will rotate constantly but the black boss in the centre will only rotate when the clutch engages).
Could be low refrigerant pressure, see if you can find the reading off the display, someone has posted a list of readings for the climatronic, do a search!

Eddie4
10-06-2008, 09:56 PM

Cheers
Hi davejcb,
Sorry, don't have advice but have the same problem. I don't know if coincidence, but I did DIY recharge of the gas and the next day the climatronic flashes at start up and the aircon doesn't turn on at all.
Did you ever find the answer to your problem?
thanks

davejcb
11-06-2008, 11:53 AM
Hi davejcb,
Sorry, don't have advice but have the same problem. I don't know if coincidence, but I did DIY recharge of the gas and the next day the climatronic flashes at start up and the aircon doesn't turn on at all.
Did you ever find the answer to your problem?
thanks

I just got my system regassed - it worked, unfortunatly the engine blew up ... yes the passat 1.9tdi ... after only 113k miles!! Less than a week later.

What error codes are you getting?

Eddie4
11-06-2008, 11:21 PM
I haven't had the chance to look yet on the climatronic. Only just found a referenced link for accessing the 'fault menu' on the climatronic and what each 'item' number represents. Apparently 45 items on the passat, and 70 odd on the audi. However, I'm not entirely sure how I will know what is error or not. I will have a look tomorrow and get back on this.:dunno:

kevl22
12-06-2008, 08:50 AM
Hi Same problem here with the Climatronic flashing on my 19 Tdi 110. Does any one have a list of the error codes plus how do I find the codes on the display (what buttons do I press)

Thanks Kevl22

davejcb
12-06-2008, 09:40 AM
Hi Same problem here with the Climatronic flashing on my 19 Tdi 110. Does any one have a list of the error codes plus how do I find the codes on the display (what buttons do I press)

Thanks Kevl22

This is what you need to do to find the error codes
holding the circ & econ buttons on the climatronic panel.

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224634

Convert the hex codes into binary

look up codes here http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/Category:Fault_Codes

The Errors i got was

4FA 00 --> Bin 1274 --> Air floe flap position motor ( i forced this open a while back as my car kept steaming up - aircon still worked after this)

318 00 --> Bin 792 --> A/C pressure switch -F129- , this may explain why my climatronic is flashing when i start the ignition. I guess the system is low or the sensor is faulty ..... This was because the coolant was low.

Finally

4F9 00 --> Bin 1273 --> 01273 - Fresh Air Blower (V2)

This is all irrelevant now as the engine is deceased, probably gonna strip the car, sell the bits

kevl22
12-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the reply Davejcb. I will have a look and see if I can work out whats wrong with my Climacontrol using the the codes it displays.
Regards Kevl22

Eddie4
14-06-2008, 11:26 PM
Hi davejcb,

I had a look on my climatronic and found the same error code you had, namely:

"The Errors i got was

318 00 --> Bin 792 --> A/C pressure switch -F129- , this may explain why my climatronic is flashing when i start the ignition"

This makes sense as I filled the system with gas the day before the climatronic started flashing and the A/C wouldn't turn on. I assume this pressure switch is a safety trip which stops the compressor running if the gas pressure is too high. I wonder, if I bleed the gas out if the switch will reset, or do I need to do something manually to reset it?

Any advice appreciated.
thanks

davejcb
15-06-2008, 05:52 AM
I thought it was for if the gass pressure was too low. If a system has leaked all its gas, there isnt enough presure to keep the seals in place and lubricated, they then fall apart. So it maybe you have a leak some where.
Alternitavly i suppose it could be the gas pressure is too high.

Does anyone know?

chrispassat
15-06-2008, 10:21 AM
Had the same issue following Timing belt & tensioner change at indie.

If you have a DIY regass kit why not try re-doing it & starting the aircon immediately after (if you are lucky enough to have had a UV tracer liquid included then the location of any leak will be visible)- unless the leak is huge the pressure should be enough to make the a/c function at least briefly.

Also try to note the amount of liquid you remove (my aircon was down to about 30% and still worked) - if it has all gone then you may indeed have a big leak which needs to be located! If you remove nearly all that you put in this probably shows no leaks.

Lastly check the integrity of the wiring - this is what stopped mine working - the garage had not fully pressed home the electrical connectors to the pressure switch - I couldn't easily see this from above the engine so you may need to get under the car. The wires go from under the plastic cover near the power steering filler at the right front of the car (as you face it) - and it just clips off.

Also check the connector behind the front bumper, make sure it is fully home.

If none of those work I'd suspect a faulty pressure switch.

Good Luck & let us know what fixed it.

Good luck.

Eddie4
16-06-2008, 09:49 PM
I don't have a leak. The DIY Ez-chill can comes with a gauge that gives the pressure of the system.
The one thing I did find odd is the gas pressure in the system is in the 'red'(dangerously high) zone when the A/C isn't on, however fairly low in the blue (normal) zone when the aircon is running (the day before it stopped working).
I've compared this to my Astra where the running pressure is at the top of the 'blue' (normal) zone, and not much different when the A/C isn't running (and it's ice cold!)

caldirun
18-06-2008, 07:13 AM
I don't have a leak. The DIY Ez-chill can comes with a gauge that gives the pressure of the system.
The one thing I did find odd is the gas pressure in the system is in the 'red'(dangerously high) zone when the A/C isn't on, however fairly low in the blue (normal) zone when the aircon is running (the day before it stopped working).
I've compared this to my Astra where the running pressure is at the top of the 'blue' (normal) zone, and not much different when the A/C isn't running (and it's ice cold!)
Lets consider how a fridge works, then see what could be wrong.
The re-gas is a misnomer as you are putting in a liquid/gas under pressure, it would be a gas at atmospheric without the pressure to increase its boiling point.
The pressure you are measuring is generated by the liquid boiling inside the system untill the pressure takes the boiling point above its temperature, then it will stop.
The compressor pressurises the gas which flows through the condensor (the rad and fan on the front right of the car) and is cooled which takes it below its boiling point and converts it back to a liquid.
The liquid then flows through a restriction which generates a pressure drop then into the evaporator (the rad inside the HVAC unit under the dash) which heats up the liquid changing it back into a gas and extracting heat from the car interior.
It is the change of state which makes the system work so well, latent heat is extracted and inserted at the two points which is far greater than sensible heat.
If you put the wrong refridgerant into the system it would generate an incorrect pressure, could be too high at room temp.
When the system is running it depends where you measure the pressure as to what pressure reading you get.

Sharan tdi
19-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Hi mate, I know this is an old post but I have a similar issue and you note something about a clip behind the bumper. I have a sharan and have just had a parking sensor replaced in the front bumper. The problem started then. I took it back the the garage that did the sensor and they said it was nothing to do with what they had done but they have been behind or had the bumper off so I wonder if it maybe this. They connected to diognosics, did not show anything but then started working. Worked for 2 days and then same error. I wil try to find what the error code is from the links provided but it maybe helpful if you could answer the bumper question.

Thanks

David

Had the same issue following Timing belt & tensioner change at indie.

If you have a DIY regass kit why not try re-doing it & starting the aircon immediately after (if you are lucky enough to have had a UV tracer liquid included then the location of any leak will be visible)- unless the leak is huge the pressure should be enough to make the a/c function at least briefly.

Also try to note the amount of liquid you remove (my aircon was down to about 30% and still worked) - if it has all gone then you may indeed have a big leak which needs to be located! If you remove nearly all that you put in this probably shows no leaks.

Lastly check the integrity of the wiring - this is what stopped mine working - the garage had not fully pressed home the electrical connectors to the pressure switch - I couldn't easily see this from above the engine so you may need to get under the car. The wires go from under the plastic cover near the power steering filler at the right front of the car (as you face it) - and it just clips off.

Also check the connector behind the front bumper, make sure it is fully home.

If none of those work I'd suspect a faulty pressure switch.

Good Luck & let us know what fixed it.

Good luck.

caldirun
19-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Check the plug/socket onto the AC clutch, disconnect it and spray with contact cleaner, they would have unplugged it to get into service position and probably did again to check their work.

Sharan tdi
19-11-2011, 09:38 PM
Sorry to be a pain, I am a non mechanic so could you talk me through this process, what is am looking for and exactly what to do.

David

Check the plug/socket onto the AC clutch, disconnect it and spray with contact cleaner, they would have unplugged it to get into service position and probably did again to check their work.

Sharan tdi
19-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Also would one of those devices to read error codes be helpfully and which type for sharan 55 plate.

David

Sorry to be a pain, I am a non mechanic so could you talk me through this process, what is am looking for and exactly what to do.

David