PDA

View Full Version : A4s with Higher milages

skymaster
28-12-2006, 05:02 PM
Hi, I am totally new to this forum. I am thinking of buying a 2003 Audi A4 quattro tdi from a franchised dealer. My only gripe about the car is that it's covered 51k already. I am currently driving a MK4 golf which I owned from 30k and by 50k it needed all sorts of work doing (suspension bushes, engine mount, air mass, etc etc etc)

I know the A4 is a much better car however 51k still seems like a lot of miles. Can anyone comment on how these cars hold up over the higher milages? The last thing I want to do is shell out over 12 grand on a car thats past it's prime.

Any help or comments much appreciated indeed.

auiron
28-12-2006, 06:51 PM
Hi, I am totally new to this forum. I am thinking of buying a 2003 Audi A4 quattro tdi from a franchised dealer. My only gripe about the car is that it's covered 51k already. I am currently driving a MK4 golf which I owned from 30k and by 50k it needed all sorts of work doing (suspension bushes, engine mount, air mass, etc etc etc)

I know the A4 is a much better car however 51k still seems like a lot of miles. Can anyone comment on how these cars hold up over the higher milages? The last thing I want to do is shell out over 12 grand on a car thats past it's prime.

Any help or comments much appreciated indeed.

Ask the dealer, if the former owner is willing to speak to you, or just ask for the name and address of the last keeper. That's the only way you'r going to find out. It's also coming up for an expensive 60,000 mile service with brake service and timing and auxilliary belt change.

RickT
28-12-2006, 06:57 PM
51k is not mega miles for the audi's... howver try and get them do to the CAM belt before you buy it tho,..

Cheers

RickT

skymaster
28-12-2006, 07:05 PM
The previous keeper was Lombard vehicle leasing so cant really get in touch with them. Probably means it was a company car and they didtched it as soon as the warranty ran out. I guess on the up side it's covered all those miles in just 3 years so that would hint that many of them would be motorways and A roads as opposed to pottering around town.

Dealer has so far agreed to service it and do the cambelt as well before it goes out. If I buy it I will ask them to do a break fluid service as well.

andysuth
28-12-2006, 10:19 PM
51k? on a diesel is nothing. If it is correct. Cam belts are recommended at 60k for the diesels (i think).

I bought a 89k audi A4 1.9 TDI, set me back £2.5k, and I'm expecting it to do another >100K.

The two big things are if it is correct, not clocked, and the fact it was rental. Lombard should have a full service history- don't be afraid to ask questions, ring the supposed servicing places and ask them if the service was done, and whether they did the Cam Belts too.

I've rented Cars before, brilliant, not mine, I floor them see what they are like to drive, then you've got the people who rent cars who haven't got their own car and as a result Kango it with real bad clutch control.

For me, the worst former owners are:
1. Mums on school runs.
2. Taxi Drivers
3. Rental fleets.

NO OFFENSE TO ANY OF THOSE GROUPS! IT'S JUST SOME OF THEM DO ABUSE THE CARS!

See how it drives. Get it onto a motorway/national speed limit and see how it goes at speed.

-Andy.

Eshrules
29-12-2006, 12:40 PM
i totally agree with the above, as long as the mileage is genuine, 51k is nothing on a diesel, if properly serviced these diesel engines are well capable of 200k.

i wouldnt necessarily be put off by a rental however, a lot of 3/4 yr old low mileage cars on forecourts are ex rental, suprsing thing being that the dealer is not at any liberty to inform you. i found this out when i got my fiat brava, 36k on the clock and then found out it was an ex rental, tbh though, it never once let me down, the only things that failed were shock absorbers on the front, a common fault on the car.

a lot of rental companies now limit the mielage as well as the age of the car they hold, for example, they may say 50k/3 years, whichever comes first, after all it is in their interest to keep the car of a decent value to!

as has been said, take it for a stretch on the m.way and make sure your service history is up to scratch, phone the garages up and check the work has been carried out. your getting the timing belt done, good job as this is expensive and as long as you've got a good warranty, i really wouldnt be worried!

those mums n tots really do hammer cars! :drive:

andysuth
29-12-2006, 12:57 PM
those mums n tots really do hammer cars! :drive:
As do us Dads!

School run: School is usually less than 2 miles, during rush hour, lots of stop/start, hesitant driving as there is a kid on board, then stop at the school for ten minutes, let the engine get cold again, then drive home, another less than two mile journey. Repeat twice daily.

Brilliant for destroying an engine prematurely. First A4 I test drove had 120k on the clock and was absolutely knackered after five years of treatment like that.

-AS

Eshrules
29-12-2006, 12:59 PM
LOL yep, i forsee a tide of sweeping generalisations here, but the growing trend nowadays is to fit new cars with turbo diesels, problem being that yes they may be more efficient, less pollutant, etc etc, but not on a twice a day 2 mile journey as you say :biglaugh: bring back the penny farthings, thats wot i say!

RickT
29-12-2006, 02:11 PM
Just to point out.. Lombard vehicle leasing is NOT a hire car company.... it leases cars for a period of 12,24,36,48,60 Months to companys as company cars. - There not a HIRE copmpany who lend cars to anyone for a weekend etc....

So more than likley the car will have only had one driver for the 3 years and had been looked after like their own as most company car drivers do...

Its when they come from HIRE companies you need to have a real think!!

Cheers

RickT

Eshrules
29-12-2006, 02:43 PM
if , as Rick says it is a ex lease car, id jump at the chance to own one. company cars are looked after extremely well, its a condition of the lease that they are serviced in complete accordance with the schdule, most of the time at a main dealer(althought not always a good thing!) they are maintained regardless of cost and if the car has only covered a touch of 50k, with the cam belt being done by the dealer before you get it, id snap the thing up :D :drive:

RickT
29-12-2006, 04:05 PM
Also read this is.. its Lombard Fleet services...

If your alway getting the CAM belt done i would jump at the chance...

http://www.lombard.co.uk/lombard/uk/business_customers/cars_and_vans/acquire/index.html

as said above... the car will have been serviced when required and all parts changed if even remotley required.

Cheers

RicKT

davidlandy
29-12-2006, 06:06 PM
our A4 tdi sport on a 52 plate has 130,000 on it and its fine

aside from sounding a little tappetty is still drives tight

Cam belt was changed by Audi at 125,000 whilst it was still owned by a lease company just before they sold it to me - so they are ok as far as servicing goes as they could had very easily not bothered to spend £600 on a major service and just outed it as it was.

gordonowusu
15-07-2014, 04:45 PM
My Audi A4 2004 built has 290,000 KM approx 180,000 miles and still going strong

wmccann
18-07-2014, 10:09 PM
Hi,

50k for an 11 year old car sounds low. 10k per year would be normal. Are you sure it has not been clocked?

I have a 2003 cab and have 100k on it with little driving.

W.

camperuk
20-07-2014, 10:36 PM
Initial post was made in 2006
Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_212 using Tapatalk

wmccann
21-07-2014, 10:30 AM
Initial post was made in 2006
Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_212 using Tapatalk

Missed that crucial piece :)

W.