PDA

View Full Version : A4 Steering

Bloater
07-05-2008, 01:47 PM
What is your steering like on your A4. I am asking as I think mine isn't working properly. It is heavy when parking, and at 70mph, feels completely disconnected from the wheels, no feedback at all.

The car I test drove was completely the opposite, and I was informed there were no extras except cruise on it.

Be interested in your opinions, although mine is going back Thursday to get someone to try it out.

Cheers

Moodshadow
07-05-2008, 03:29 PM
Did you have the servotronic option?

Bloater
07-05-2008, 04:04 PM
No. And neither did the test drive car either apparently. I am slowly beginning to smell a rat here with the test car spec.

Still concerned though that the steering gets really light at speed. Hit a pothole whilst cornering, and you have to have hold the steering tight. One handed results in more lock being applied, most unnerving.

Bloater

AndyH123
07-05-2008, 07:01 PM
Intriguing.. I must admit I thought mine felt heavier at low speed than the test drive example I took out. I specifically remember that one feeling 'light'. Same spec too I believe.

No complaints at speed though. Mine doesn't thank me for doing one handed manoeuvres when accelerating - I put that down to the bigger wheels and general torqueyness, but I could be way off there.

Julian.P
07-05-2008, 07:25 PM
Sounds like you guys have demonstrated an A4 with servotronioc steering I have tested both, and found the car without servotronic heavier on the steering.

On order: 2.0Tdi A4 S-line, Ibis White, 19” 7 double spoke wheels, S-line suspension, Servotronic steering.

Bloater
08-05-2008, 06:41 PM
Chaps,

Finally visited the dealer today, to get them to confirm the steering issues. They have confirmed what we all thought, the demonstrator had servotronic fitted most likely.

I said to them that I specifically asked the question about options on it, and was told only cruise. Therefore I though mine would be the same, it isn't. Guess there's nothing that can be done.

He did say that the service manager was caught out as well, he had his in the workshop, and they came to the same conclusion. I'll wait to see if I get a follow up call, and then will voice my dissatisfaction. I test drove, what I was told was a standard car, except cruise. Therefore why is mine different.

Coming from a Passat with electrically assisted steering, to a hydraulic Audi means some getting used to, guess it will take time. He didn't think it was overly light at speed either, its just lighter than I expected.

Cheers

MackemMan
08-05-2008, 08:50 PM
I am still waiting for my A4 so not able to contribute directly to this debate.

But my former car (have put it in early as part-x) was a 2.0 TDI A3. Great little car but if I really put my boot down I sometimes felt I was on the verge of losing it. Guess this is the same problem but in a different guise.

Guess the lesson here is to drive sensibly. Isn't that what Audi drivers are supposed to do on the way to the golf club?

a8 tech
08-05-2008, 09:17 PM
2.0 diesel without servotronic are heavy at low rpm,i have already discussed this with audi uk and its correct,i advise the servotronic option.

MackemMan
08-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Bit late now. I ordered in March & the dealer wouldn't let me change when I wanted to add heated front seats.

What is the scale of the problem? Presumably the cars are not undrivable otherwise they wouldn't be selling any at all, would they?

a8 tech
08-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Its not a problem,its a new steering set up thats a bit odd at first and its based on a5 but they all have servotronic and dont have the 2.0 diesel engine (yet).It doesent seem so stiff on the 1.8tfsi but its not a fault its the way it is.Must say b8 a4 is a great car and customers who first raised the issue with me are happy now they have got used to it.Regards A8

Bloater
09-05-2008, 07:51 AM
What a8 tech says is correct. I have come from a Passat, with very assisted steering, all done electrically. I have gone back to hydraulic with the A4, and its just different.

There is nothing wrong with it as such, but you certainly have to hold on to the wheel, either accelerating, or cornering at high speed, in case you hit a bump.

I'm led to believe that the A3 and A5 have servotronic, but not the 2.0 tdi A4. Get a bigger engine, and the servotronic is standard. Very strange way of setting the models, Audi has.

I'm enjoying the car, so all those waiting, don't panic.

Bloater

moptisam2
09-05-2008, 09:30 AM
I have Servotronic on my present 2005 A4 and have specified it for my car that, hopefully, should be ready to collect at the end of next month. I love it.

It's interesting about getting bad info from the dealer. I have already mentioned in another post that a salesman I dealt with seemed 'surprised' when I pointed out that Servotronic is an option, not standard, on the A4.

I sometimes think it would be best to have discussions on specs etc 'wired' so that if anything is not as discussed you have a taped record of the conversation.

AndyH123
09-05-2008, 10:59 AM
To follow up my personal observation of "heavy", I actually like the way my A4 inspires / demands 'more proper' driving (can't decide how to phrase all that :) ). It reminds me of track day action, which is nice. Sure you can trundle lazily down the motorway resting one arm at a time, but its great to embrace bends doing the whole 'ten to two' thing.

Gonna be a lot of personal preference going on here, which makes this a really interesting discussion.

Satch
09-05-2008, 01:00 PM
To follow up my personal observation of "heavy", I actually like the way my A4 inspires / demands 'more proper' driving (can't decide how to phrase all that :) ). It reminds me of track day action, which is nice. Sure you can trundle lazily down the motorway resting one arm at a time, but its great to embrace bends doing the whole 'ten to two' thing.

Gonna be a lot of personal preference going on here, which makes this a really interesting discussion.

I would agree with Andy. I have noticed that the steering is certainly heavier than my Passat which I could literally steer with two fingers but I do like the way you have to almost keep hold with both hands going round fast tight corners.:D

kkwan18
10-05-2008, 12:13 AM
Hi all,

The steering on my A4 3.0Tdi is heavy at speed on the motor, but its light when i drive at low speed or when i am parking the car is that how it behave,,

keith

browellm
28-05-2008, 08:48 AM
Only had the car a few hours but am really enjoying the "meaty" standard steering. It's a far cry from the way over-servoed Renault Scenic steering I had before.

AndyH123
06-06-2008, 03:08 PM
Had a 1.8T yesterday for a bit while my 2.0TDI was in getting cruise retro-fitted.

I got in the 1.8T, drove off and it was like driving on ice (ok, slight exaggeration maybe). There is such a WORLD of difference between the two steering systems that you absolutely must demand to test drive both before purchasing.

Either that or my A4 is wrong, but discussion here suggests otherwise. So it was luck that I test drove WITH Servotronic, purchased without and actually prefer without. It wasn't raised as a point of discussion during the test drive.

RichardCranium
06-06-2008, 07:52 PM
standard steering is a bit heavier but i like it that way. i think you get more 'feel' from it. its a bot heavier than my outgoing car (Volvo) but i'll get used to it soon enough

givenchy513
25-01-2010, 02:42 AM
I got a second hand 58 plate A4 S-line 2.0TDI from Audi Brighton.
The steering is the heaviest one among all the cars in my life.
High speed is not light as reported by other owners. All very heavy at all speed. But when drive in city, my god! I feel my arms are hurt cos I moved from a Volvo S60, too different.
Any comment on the steering, is it really that stiff??
Thanks