PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Passat TDi 130BHP - Smokey & Rough for 15secs when cold!

noelr
07-05-2008, 12:01 PM
Hello All,
I am new to the site so hello all.

I hope you may be able to point me in the right direction.

I purchased a Nov 2002 passat tdi 130bhp last feb and since then I have had the problem described in the title.
The car has 103k and is ex Lloyd fleet. No reason to suspect mileage correction as all records and checks tally correctly.

This only happens when the car has been left idle for a period of time.
I thought that there may be diesel seeping into a chamber overnight so I have changed all the seals on the injectors and that didn't make any difference!!

I then got an injector that was tested and swapped it from chamber to chamber to see if there was a faulty injector, but still the same problem.

Running out of simple fix ideas now so wondering if anyone has seen similar symptoms!

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Best Regards
Noel

Col
07-05-2008, 06:04 PM
Sounds like a classic example of a water temperature sender failure to me.

Do a search on here for lots of info.

When the sender fails it tells fibs to the ECU, the ECU then thinks the engine is warm when it is cold and vica versa.

VAG.Direct
06-08-2008, 07:29 PM
It could be the deisel heater my dads skoda has the same troubles smokes on starting and runs lumpy till warm and struggles to start on cold mornings i read the fault with VAG-COM...!.!.!

It is between the deisel filter and the pump....!.!.!

Hope this helps.
John

Vwsteve76
01-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Hi,

I have the same problem with my Passat as you got here did you ever find what was causing it.

Regards

Steve

Hello All,
I am new to the site so hello all.

I hope you may be able to point me in the right direction.

I purchased a Nov 2002 passat tdi 130bhp last feb and since then I have had the problem described in the title.
The car has 103k and is ex Lloyd fleet. No reason to suspect mileage correction as all records and checks tally correctly.

This only happens when the car has been left idle for a period of time.
I thought that there may be diesel seeping into a chamber overnight so I have changed all the seals on the injectors and that didn't make any difference!!

I then got an injector that was tested and swapped it from chamber to chamber to see if there was a faulty injector, but still the same problem.

Running out of simple fix ideas now so wondering if anyone has seen similar symptoms!

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Best Regards
Noel

VAG.Direct
01-11-2008, 09:20 PM
Yes it was the deisel heater it is between the pump and filter but would have it on the machine to check as it will show as an intermitent fault as my dad's was doing sometime's its was fine for a while then would go wrong for age's...!!!!

Bit dodgey with winter comeing...!.!.!

STEWY L
01-11-2008, 09:30 PM
smokey for 15 secs when cold?
that's not too bad is it?
regards,
stewy.

VAG.Direct
01-11-2008, 10:32 PM
smokey for 15 secs when cold?
that's not too bad is it?
regards,
stewy.
Not bad till the weather get's cold and if it take's longer than usual to start will want sorting to save it letting you down cos these motor's hardly ever fail to start...!.!.!

Vwsteve76
02-11-2008, 12:52 AM
I found with mine even tho last couple of morning it`s been -2 the car start`s first time it just runs lumpy for about 1-2 secs blowing like a blue/white smoke out then it runs well for rest of the day starting up etc.By the way its only done 35,000 miles lol.

Not bad till the weather get's cold and if it take's longer than usual to start will want sorting to save it letting you down cos these motor's hardly ever fail to start...!.!.!

stevegrass777
02-11-2008, 10:20 AM
To be honest I think most of these suffer the same on a cold start.
As long as they start well and the smoke disappears when its warmed up a bit I dont think its to bad.

Col
02-11-2008, 10:47 AM
Honestly, they don't, they should start fine. You get a slight rattle for 1 to 3 seconds as the tappets fill up with oil and maybe just a puff of white smoke and then all should be fine.

Have any of you actually changed the coolant temp sender ?

It is probably the most common problem that afflicts our cars.

Don't forget the sender is a duel output type sending two sets of signal information, one to the cluster gauge and one to the ecu. All may aooear to be well on the gauge but the ecu may be thinking it is starting an already warm engine.

VAG.Direct
02-11-2008, 02:04 PM
My dad's was the same it would start lumpy them fine for the rest of the day but his has got worse and worse the lumpy ness is lasting longer and longer but when it went on the diagnostic it was saying it was intemitent problem i will put the error code on later..!!!!

scotty33
03-02-2009, 11:14 PM
Honestly, they don't, they should start fine. You get a slight rattle for 1 to 3 seconds as the tappets fill up with oil and maybe just a puff of white smoke and then all should be fine.

Have any of you actually changed the coolant temp sender ?

It is probably the most common problem that afflicts our cars.

Don't forget the sender is a duel output type sending two sets of signal information, one to the cluster gauge and one to the ecu. All may aooear to be well on the gauge but the ecu may be thinking it is starting an already warm engine.

Great post, convinced me to change mine!

Was disapponted with the economy of my 'new' - to me 130 tdi. Only 36 mpg average, on my 12 mile commute. Even my '92 2.0 petrol passat could do more than that...
Searched and found I had a few of the symptoms:
poor economy - see above
starting issues - in my case not that bad, but felt like it needed 'persuading' to fire up cleanly. Also just the one occasion, it revved up to 2000 rpm when it fired up.
Temp Gauge reading dropped off to zero for half an hour, then worked as normal.

My only dilemma is did VW give me the right one? They supplied 059 919 501A which was green in colour, my old one was 078 919 501C which was black, anyone know for sure if they are compatible? It seems to be working well so far..

Col
04-02-2009, 10:56 AM
As they are so unreliable, VW have revised the design, hence the colour and part number changes.

minty0_10
04-02-2009, 05:10 PM
how much is the part? is it easy to change?

Col
04-02-2009, 06:52 PM
They are about £10'ish

minty0_10
04-02-2009, 06:57 PM
i,l give that a go than mines has a little miss and bit of blue smoke when cold.
mpg is crap to 36ish local

Col
04-02-2009, 07:13 PM
i,l give that a go than mines has a little miss and bit of blue smoke when cold.
mpg is crap to 36ish local

Minty,

We have talked about MPG before if you recall..... :p

36 round town, stop / start sounds normal.

Those super high mpg and range figures I was talking about before are the extremes.

I've kept a very detailed spreadsheet of my mpg since I've had the car (130hp AWX engine Passat estate) and it is 40mpg (brim to brim) over 45k so your 36 sounds about right.

scotty33
04-02-2009, 07:33 PM
They are about £10'ish

Maybe I should have shopped around?

Temp sender £24.74 + vat from dealers!

O ring seal £0.91 +

Plastic retaining clip £0.39 +

G12+ coolant £7.12 +

Not hard to do, it's on the back of the block below the vacuum pump, the housing 'points' toward the air filter side of the engine.
Best to take the air filter lid off for improved access.
Unplug the wiring connector, undo expansion cap to release any pressure (refit it to save coolant loss)
pull out retaining clip, pull out old sender, pull old o ring out of the hole.

I had assembled the new o ring onto the sender and lightly greased it ready to install.

Install sender and fit retaining clip. plug in and top up coolant.

Obviously, for safety's sake the engine needs to be cold!!

Col
04-02-2009, 07:50 PM
[quote=scotty33;308487]Maybe I should have shopped around?

quote]

And maybe I got it totally wrong !

Ooops :Blush2:

minty0_10
04-02-2009, 08:36 PM
yes i do recall :biglaugh:

ok well maybe i wont then:o perhaps im just grasping at straws my average is 41mpg i did see 48 at the weekend and that was all b roads for about 2 hours witch i was surprised at.
just out of interest i came back the same route with the boot lid half open, averaged 40mpg suspiring how much difference the aerodynamics do make

scotty33
04-02-2009, 08:40 PM
[quote=scotty33;308487]Maybe I should have shopped around?

quote]

And maybe I got it totally wrong !

Ooops :Blush2:

No problem Col,

I think £24 is quite good from VW, - it is 2 in one after all? Hopefully soon pay for itself in saved fuel...:beerchug:

passatmick
02-05-2012, 11:49 AM
just curious did you actually cure this with a coolant temp sensor i ask as i am having the exsact same problem but i have had 2 new sensors in the last month but i still have the problem

scotty33
05-05-2012, 04:08 AM
It cured my hesitant starting issues, but thats all I had. Not that smokey and not for 15secs. There are lots of counterfeit temp senders about, though genuine vw parts are guaranteed 2 years.

If you have a good genuine vw sender then I suggest you explore other alternatives suggested in this thread and/or maybe get hold of vcds and try a healthcheck courtesy of martin 1810's excellent site:

https://sites.google.com/site/1810martin/vcds-and-pd-tdi-engine-health-check