PDA

View Full Version : 1.9TDI 105 engine (Seat) - first cambelt change help

horacek
07-05-2008, 07:53 AM
Ok, Seat say 4yrs or 60,000 miles. Do they use a weaker grade of belts on their engine compared to the other VAG's?!!!

Car is 4yrs and 37k. Just feels abit daft to change it so soon. I was going to put it off until Sept when its service is due and money is (cough) 'freerer'...

Any thoughts or links very appreciated?

kimandsally
07-05-2008, 08:17 AM
4 years is when they start to degrade, take the cover off and inspect it that way you can make a better judgement, if the belt looks perfect with no signs of degradation I would say it "might" be OK .

godfried
07-05-2008, 08:24 AM
You obviously are worried. Don't take a chance and replace belt and water pump. If only for peace of mind.

Best is to shop around at dealers and indies as prices vary enormously!

horacek
07-05-2008, 08:46 AM
Good point, will try Seats, Skodas and indies- any recommendations for garages in Manchester?

paul b
07-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Put it this way, if you leave it too long you'll end up with thousands of punds worth of bills for a new engine, or it will be written off because of the costs involved. After 4 years the belts start to degrade and after 60k it will start to tear. It's easy to say "it looks fine" but if you've ever had one snap on you then you'll find yourself on the verge of tears at the cost involved.

I had a fan belt on a Fiat Scudo van fail, which flew off and dislodged the timing belt and therefore the engine lost it's timing and seized. It was on tickover at the time and I had the bonnet up because I could hear squeeling from inside the cabin. I was staring at the fan belt as it snapped and made a balls of the engine.

This happened on a Friday, the van was back on the road on Monday for work. But it wasn't easy to put it mildly... And the parts set me back about 400 quid.

Moral: better safe than sorry.

Paul

horacek
09-05-2008, 08:43 AM
Dropped off this morning for its service and the Service Manager at Seat said 'rubbish', it doesnt need changing at 40k/4yrs! Going to quiz him on this later just to be sure.

mluton
09-05-2008, 09:01 AM
Awesome gti mate, they did mine.

http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/

paul b
09-05-2008, 05:22 PM
Dropped off this morning for its service and the Service Manager at Seat said 'rubbish', it doesnt need changing at 40k/4yrs! Going to quiz him on this later just to be sure.
Yes, and it isn't his money that will be spent on a new engine...

horacek
12-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Just called another Seat dealer who went into the system with my VIN code...

:biglaugh:5years/60,000 miles :biglaugh: