PDA

View Full Version : Replacement windscreens

Heathy
06-05-2008, 10:24 PM
I got a stone chip the other day which has cracked my screen, phoned my insurance and they arranged for rac windscreens to come out.
They are coming on thursday, and i wanted to ask a few questions.
1. My car [ audi a4 avant s-line ] has the auto wipers and lights which has the weird looking thing behind the rear view mirror.
I take it these companies know what they are doing?
Have any of you guys had a similar thing done and are happy with the job?
Will i notice any difference from my original screen?
I guess i'm a bit dubious about having it done as i had a screen replaced on my a6 a few years ago which ended up in having a 2nd screen done, footwells filled up with water:zx11:

RickT
07-05-2008, 01:21 AM
it will be fine..

The screen will not be OEM however all the funcation will work as the sensor is on the plate that sticks to the glass...

Rick

Ben
07-05-2008, 09:10 PM
i had mine done with no issues.

Heathy
07-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Cheers guys:beerchug:

window man
07-05-2008, 09:46 PM
i repair theses things all the time i work for autoglass lol please no funny coment lmao make sure your trully happy with the repair before you sign them sensors are no problem at all we change them all the time if i can help with anything just ask ive been fitting windscreens for 20 years so ive seen everything lol

Heathy
10-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Well, had the windscreen changed, had a look at the job looked ok, guy went away!!
I got into car 3 hours later and noticed wipers were in slightly the wrong place [ wipers were showing above the line of sight] if that makes sense?
Anyhow phoned them, guy comes back and sorts it!
Next day notice a creaking coming from bottom leftish area, creaking all the time. Again phoned them, Oh thats prob the sealant/ glue still going off, ring back tomorrow if still happening.
Drive car this morning, and still creaking, phone, drive to there local base
guy jumps in car, we go for a drive, arh he says thats quite bad, never heard it that bad before!!
Now i have a guy coming back on Wednesday to refit, hope this sorts it.
I don't think i can take much more bad luck with this car:zx11:
So far this week.... Needed 2 alloys re-furbed, guy got runs in paint, needs to come back!!
New windscreen...... And 4 new tyres, garage can't balance wheels!!
With there chocolate tools!!

window man
11-05-2008, 10:38 AM
ive never heard of such rubbish what company was it bad workman ship if you ask me sounds to me as the screen isnt in the right position any doubts just give me a shout

Heathy
15-05-2008, 11:46 PM
Quick update.... Another guy turned up yesterday and re fitted the screen,
this time i watched and he talked me through the job!
He used more sealant, and some little foam type blocks, this now seems to have solved the problem.
Thanks again for the replies chaps

PJK
11-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Hi everyone,

I recently suffered a cracked windscreen in my A4 2.7 SE and had it replaced under insurance. Rather than replace it with an OEM Audi Pilkington screen to match the rest of the car, Autoglass replaced it with a Guardian one.

It may be my imagination, but it seems that there is more reflection of the dashtop with the replacement, I never noticed any before and also there seems to be a slight distortion in the glass in that if I move my head whilst looking through it, objects appear to distort slightly.

Is the above possible or am I just imagining it. Is there any test I can carry out to prove my thoughts and maybe get another screen. The car is only 8 months old, so I am a little miffed that the replacement was non genuine. If the car was 3 years old, then maybe a pattern part could be expected, but could I now complain and have an OEM part fitted?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Paul

2008 Audi A4 2.7 TDi SE Meteor Grey with Milano Black leather and Xenons

hongkongstuey
11-02-2009, 07:53 PM
ive never heard of such rubbish what company was it bad workman ship if you ask me sounds to me as the screen isnt in the right position any doubts just give me a shout

had a chip done by autoglass, smaller than a 5p but it was sorted as the guy came to work, 20 ish minutes and it was done, very satisfied with the work and would use them 100 times over.