PDA

View Full Version : HELP My A3 Looses power

csducks
06-05-2008, 09:58 PM
Hi guys,

I wonder can anyone help me, i have recently bought a A3 on a 53 plate and driven it for the first time over a long distance, 3/4 into the journey around 160 miles cruise control was on just chilling at 80mph.. the road opended up so i put my foot down a little... oh no..... what happend, well thats just it.. nothing.. at all.

i changed down from 6th gear, down to 4th, back upto 6th it wouldnt go over 80 mph..

at first i though id blown the turbo, someone tell me i havnt?????

after googling this problem ealrier this evening have found many different reasons which could cause this, if anyone knows of what could be the cause please help.

i have no idea at all what to do, or what i can do to resolve this.

kind regards

Henrico
23-05-2008, 01:11 PM
Hi

My first ever input into this site, well here goes!

I had a similar problem over 4 weeks ago, put my foot down and then nothing...l drive an Audi A3, 06 S-line auto diesel, 24k on the clock.

Check three things:

1 _ MAF, the airflow may be out, test it with a new one if you can.

2 _ ECU issue, it may need re-setting

3 _ The problem that occurred with mine, Turbo needs replacing or the solenoid can be fixed or even the manifold can be changed.

Good luck and don' worry, it will get fixed.
Henri

prolfe
23-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Hi

My first ever input into this site, well here goes!

I had a similar problem over 4 weeks ago, put my foot down and then nothing...l drive an Audi A3, 06 S-line auto diesel, 24k on the clock.

Check three things:

1 _ MAF, the airflow may be out, test it with a new one if you can.

2 _ ECU issue, it may need re-setting

3 _ The problem that occurred with mine, Turbo needs replacing or the solenoid can be fixed or even the manifold can be changed.

Good luck and don' worry, it will get fixed.
Henri

I have heard someone mention Limp Mode, and I think that is what this is all about, something is broke and you now have Limp Mode. To get you home.

Pipey
15-06-2008, 12:15 PM
I have had the same issue with my 2.0FSI A3, it was the Fuel pump. I dirty fuel had blocked my Fuel pump. I was then advised by my Audi dealer to only use Shell petrol!!!
I replaced the fuel pump and the problem is solved.

two_paracetamol
27-06-2008, 01:28 PM
Have to say my 2.0T FSI does seem to go better on that 99 RON V-Power stuff.

dod1e
30-06-2008, 01:29 PM
its not necessarliy limp mode, you would know if that were the case because you would be restricted to exactly 3000 rpm if you put your foot on the accelerator with the clutch depressed. Just having no power is most likely the MAF but could also be a number of other faults. these often clear themselves temporarily if you pull over and turn engine off and on.

If it is limp mode, then it could be turbo vanes sticking causing overboost causing limp mode.

csducks
14-07-2008, 10:37 PM
thanks guys for your comments, i think in the end though i think is was simply a case of carbon build up in the engine..

at the time i did stop and i when i started back up it was fine, so i dont think something was wrong to put int into limp mode as such.

but yeah since putting a couple of bottles of that engine cleaner stuff through the engine it has been perfectly fine, well apart from the economy and mileage i get that is,m and yeah off course the price of diesel.
but cheers guys all the same.

avitmark
13-08-2008, 03:39 PM
Hi

What engine cleaner stuff did you use??

gixxerk4600
13-08-2008, 04:21 PM
have u never gone over 80 in it! my mate used to work for an audi garage and he had an a3 and when cruising at high speeds for a long time the engine (apparently) looses power purposely as it may be running too hard/hot, this is what he told me! its there for like a safety feature so you down blow up the engine!

prolfe
13-08-2008, 06:52 PM
have u never gone over 80 in it! my mate used to work for an audi garage and he had an a3 and when cruising at high speeds for a long time the engine (apparently) looses power purposely as it may be running too hard/hot, this is what he told me! its there for like a safety feature so you down blow up the engine!

:confused:

I have maybe been over eighty for quite a few minutes - maybe as much as an hour and have never lost power.

cliver
14-08-2008, 05:42 PM
If the vnt turbo vanes are sticking the car will go into limp home mode.switching off and on resets the ecu.search variable vane turbo on you tube for an animated picture of how it works.check vacuum pipes ,n75 valve.The turbo can be dismantled and cleaned .
cliver
(for some reason this did not go into quick reply.).

smokey0123
14-08-2008, 06:09 PM
The turbo vanes are most likely the cause. Get a fault code read to confirm this, it will most probably be 17965 Charge Pressure Control, Positive Deviation

csducks
29-08-2008, 07:17 PM
lol lets just say it was a little over the national speed limit so to speak

as for what i used to clean my engine it was these two

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_18 9098_langId_-1_categoryId_58757

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_18 9902_langId_-1_categoryId_58758

after looking at diff options i figured one owner beofre me, lady driver and i mean no disrespect here but i dont think she would have ever though about cleaning the carbon out of the engine so thatw what i have done, and its been fine since.

i have heard many rumours about why the A3 acts in this way also, a safety feature, oh etc etc.. yeah i ve heard allot of diff theries
anyway its sorted now so all is well

cheers