PDA

View Full Version : A4 remote key

thecount
06-05-2008, 07:48 PM
My new A4 Avant 05 plate only came with one key remote. I really think I need another one, anyone got any ideas? I'm worried this is going to be expensive from the main Audi dealer?

I have found one on ebay from HOng Kong here : - it kind of looks like mine, but this one has a panic button? :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-A4-A6-A8-Allroad-Avant-Remote-Control-Key-FOB-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em122QQcatego ryZ40016QQihZ017QQitemZ270234975745QQrdZ1QQsspagen ameZWD2V#ht_4655wt_0

just wondering what the best procedure for this is? and roughly the kind of money I should expect to pay?

kite
06-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Even if the Ebay key is the right freq. you still need the dealer to code it to the immob.
Its best to get one from a dealer, saves a lot of hassle later on

thecount
06-05-2008, 08:30 PM
oh right, that sounds expensive. how much do you think?

elPaulio
07-05-2008, 07:53 AM
Are you sitting down??

Last time I checked for getting a new key for my Golf I was quoted something like £160 to £180 (Can't remember exactly, was a few years ago!)

So I would plan for not far off £200!!!

Scandalous, I know!! The only way to get around this is to buy the correct key off of eBay and get hold of your immobilisers SKC code either through the tag on the keys (Which I don't think they put on the 05 Audi's, sucks I know cause I wanted it too1) or to get hold of a copy of Vag-Tacho (Very expensive, not really worth it unless you are thinking of going into the business of providing keys for Audi's and VW's!! Hmm.... there's an idea!)

At the end of the day, the least hassle method is to get the dealer to do it for you :(
As an aside, did you buy it from an Audi dealer? If so, they should have given you another key! Failing that, I believe there was a recall for the A4's where the key's were being replaced under warranty due to them failing early. You could be lucky and not have had this done, and get two keys FOC! But this would require a dealer that a) Knows what they are talking about and b) Being kind enough to admit that this needed done!

Cheers

Paul :D

thecount
07-05-2008, 08:29 AM
no such luck, it was not from a main dealer unfortunately. Gutted.

cataldo
08-05-2008, 03:25 PM
no such luck, it was not from a main dealer unfortunately. Gutted.

I am a auto locksmith based in nottingham. I can send you a NEW remote cut to your car if you know your key number. is yours 2 or 3 button remote?
2 button remotes are £75 and the 3 button remotes are £85 that includes postage and cutting. If you let me know where you are i can find the nearest auto locksmith to program it for you.

cheers

martyn

thecount
08-05-2008, 07:40 PM
hi, I have no idea of the number, unfortunately there was not much with the car. where would I get the number from?

Its a 3 button key btw.

Also, how much would a key cost to program?

FLIPKEY
08-05-2008, 09:30 PM
Both my a4 keys have failed, AUDI dealer has ordered 2 new ones, I have been told they order them direct from Germany.been waiting 4 weeks, any one have any idea of time I should have to wait.

The car is under warranty and both keys to be replaced.

Any one else had both keys fail????

elPaulio
09-05-2008, 07:51 AM
Flipkey,

There was a recall on the A4 due to the keys possibly failing, I assume that your car has missed this!!
I assume that Audi are paying for the replacements??

cataldo
09-05-2008, 08:43 AM
hi, I have no idea of the number, unfortunately there was not much with the car. where would I get the number from?

Its a 3 button key btw.

Also, how much would a key cost to program?

The audi dealers will be able to give you this infomation, ou will have to provide your log book and if your lucky they wont charge you.
The cost of programming should be around £25, thats how much i charge for programming. If you let me know your area i can get some quotes for you.

thecount
09-05-2008, 08:46 AM
Hi, I'm in Peterborough, Cambridgeshire

thanks cataldo

ps, what about the issue of not having a number?

elPaulio
09-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Cataldo,

Which "key number" do you mean?

If you are meaning the SKC number for the imobiliser then Audi won't and indeed can't give you that number any more!!

Paul

wizbongre
09-05-2008, 09:09 AM
What about the "tag" with a key number on?

The manual for my car says I should have a small plastic tag with the two keys which I can use to have new keys cut/programmed but I did not recieve it. I'm trying to work out if you still get them as the manual is a bit old.

Thanks,

Gareth.

thecount
09-05-2008, 09:12 AM
I have no plastic tags anywhere :zx11:

Issac Hunt
09-05-2008, 09:34 AM
I think the policy of issuing plastic key number tag stopped sometime ago. I got my car brand new and was never given one, I asked about it as it was mentiond in the manual and was told the Audi policy had changed. If I needed a key cut they said Audi Germany would supply one based on my chassis number and production of my registration documents.

thecount
09-05-2008, 10:07 AM
just called Audi dealer in Peterborough to get a price - for a 3 button key, which needs to be ordered from Audi Uk and takes up to 5 days to arrive. then I just need to take in my log book and Identification. Key itself costs £120+ Vat and Coding costs £27+ Vat

does that sound like the right sort of price?

elPaulio
09-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Hi there,

£172 including VAT sounds about right for a dealer, maybe a bit less than I first thought!!

If you can get the key cheaper then I would and take them up on the £27 +vat for coding it!!

That is unless, you can get that cheaper too!!

thecount
09-05-2008, 12:16 PM
but I guess I would have to get the key, and then get it cut hey? probably not worth it?

elPaulio
09-05-2008, 01:31 PM
It all depends how much you value a one stop shop!!

If you think paying Audi to do the whole thing is worth the extra, then thts the way to go.
If you don't mind waiting a bit longer and running around a bit then hunting out a key on eBay and getting it cut at your local locksmiths and then getting it programmed may be a cheaper/better way to go!!

Paul

thecount
09-05-2008, 07:09 PM
very true, I think it would be less hassle, also, the Audi garage is about 10mins down the road

FLIPKEY
09-05-2008, 08:12 PM
Elpaulio,

Yes audi are footing the bill for both my keys, thank heavens.

Just purchased the car, but the keys have never been changed, I guess that they have just waited to see if the fault develops.how many other a4 keys are faulty I wonder ?

sarah14
09-05-2008, 08:37 PM
hi
im a new member. i read your post about the auci key,i was wondering if you did vw to?
regards
tommy

cataldo
10-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Cataldo,

Which "key number" do you mean?

If you are meaning the SKC number for the imobiliser then Audi won't and indeed can't give you that number any more!!

Paul

Your key number on a A4 from years 97-05 ranges from 0001-6000 after 05 it goes from 6001-8000. With this code i have a program which works out your your 8 cuts of your key.

cataldo
10-05-2008, 11:46 AM
just called Audi dealer in Peterborough to get a price - for a 3 button key, which needs to be ordered from Audi Uk and takes up to 5 days to arrive. then I just need to take in my log book and Identification. Key itself costs £120+ Vat and Coding costs £27+ Vat

does that sound like the right sort of price?

£27 plus vat is not bad price for coding. If you cant get your key number dont worry i can send you one blank and your local key cutter can cut from your original for about £5. I was doing as a free service. I can send you one in 2 days for £85 then pop down to audi to get it program which will save you about £60 on the remote. I have looked for autolocksmiths in peterborough but there is none in a 50 mile radius

cataldo
10-05-2008, 11:51 AM
hi
im a new member. i read your post about the auci key,i was wondering if you did vw to?
regards
tommy

Yes i do vw keys. If you tell me the model and your reg/year. would you like a remote?