PDA

View Full Version : Door close nightmare

boycey19690
27-12-2006, 08:49 PM
I wonder if anybody can save me from welding my doors up.My golf is currently off the road and is waiting to go into the garage for diagnostics, but even with it off the road its still giving me grief.The car a golf 1.8 gti 1999 has had a history of door close problems and since i have had it i have had to have two mechanisms changed which is can be very expensive.However over the last few weeks i have had trouble with the passenger front and back door not closing and currently the drivers door.When you shut the door they just bounce back.In the past the fault seems to rectify itself eventually , it can last for hours or days.Is there anything that is common to all the doors because i find it hard to beleive that all the doors are faulty within weeks of each over.Any help would be much appreciated, before i reach for the welder.Thanks.:zx11:

RickT
27-12-2006, 11:57 PM
The door latches need greasing... what will be happening is when there opened there sticking open so the latch is not returning to grab the bar/U hook on the door frame...

this used to happen to me on a Vectra a few years backs when the temp got low... basicly the mechinisam froze with the cold... i used to spray it with WD40 to resolve it quckly in a morning or even DE-ICER... however thats not a resolve!!

You need to see if you can take the plate off and put some copper grease in there on all moving parts..

Cheers

RickT

Boardboy
28-12-2006, 11:12 AM
Rickt is right I had a problem with the drivers door on my MKII. It just needed a good lube
Regards Boardboy

boycey19690
28-12-2006, 09:18 PM
Thanks chaps, i have also found out that the year of my car points to poor soldering on the door mechanisms, apparently theres loads of them.This is a fairly big job to changed/resolder so i will try the greasing first.Cheers.