PDA

View Full Version : window tinting

thecount
06-05-2008, 03:47 PM
I'm thinking of tinting my Phantom Black 05 Avant, just wondering if anyone has done this and what did you do? tint just from the B Pillar? or front windows too? and apparently you can choose the %tint too?

PAH
06-05-2008, 04:05 PM
I wanted privacy glass fitted to my 2006 A6 saloon and Audi recommended Pentagon Glass in Manchester to me.

Legally you should only get the B-pillar back tinted, and you can go as dark as you like on these windows. The front side windows should let (I think) 75% of the light through, which is pretty close to the manufacturers standard. Go any darker and you'll be treading on think ice!!

I went for "midnight" tints, and I have to say they did a superb job. The finish is flawless, and you wouldn't know it was not the factory fitted privacy glass, except maybe mine are a little bit darker. You can't really see into the back of the car from outside, but looking out is fine, which is exactly what I wanted. Stops the glare, and keeps the little one cool in the back when the sun is bright, but he can still see whats going on outside.

thecount
06-05-2008, 04:08 PM
that sounds like exactly what I am after. do you know what percentage tint you went for in the back? Don't suppose you have a photo at all? There is a local company offering to do the B-pillar back for £250 inc lifetime warrantee.

PAH
06-05-2008, 05:33 PM
Not sure exactly what the tint was I'm afraid, but if you look on their website, it shows which one the "midnight" tint is. I seem to remember it blocks 99% or UV, but not sure about the actual light. I'll try and find out for you.

I would take some photos, but my car is with Audi at the moment having some warranty work done (sat-nav freezing and a small paint issue). I should get it back for the weekend, so I can sort some then if that is any use?

I paid about £290 which is expensive I guess, but like I said the finish is flawless. They even took the side glass out of the car to fit the film so it is perfectly done.

thecount
06-05-2008, 05:56 PM
that's great. thanks

IainP
07-05-2008, 03:20 PM
If you're in Scotland, Tint Haus are very good. I have used them on 3 cars now and would recommend them.

Jebus
07-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Had mine done at the legal limit all round. You can go as dark as you like from the B pillar back, but i decided to get a consistent shade the whole way around the car. Will post pics later, can't get on photobucket at work...

Jebus
07-05-2008, 07:50 PM
pics of mine...
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b143/icoulson/My%20A4%20S-line/SNC10285.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b143/icoulson/My%20A4%20S-line/SNC10284.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b143/icoulson/My%20A4%20S-line/SNC10281.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b143/icoulson/My%20A4%20S-line/SNC10278.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b143/icoulson/My%20A4%20S-line/SNC10288.jpg

thecount
07-05-2008, 07:56 PM
hey, that looks really nice. Mine is an Avant Sline in Phantom black too. Just wondering, what is the percentage tint you have gone for there? mine looks a bit tinted already as it stands.

also, I see you have a chrome strip under the boot tailgate? it looks fab - can it be fitted afterwards?

Jebus
07-05-2008, 08:29 PM
If i'm being honest, i'm not sure what % it is, i just asked them to go as dark as possible on the fronts and do the rest the same...
I think it really sets the car off, especially with the chrome window surrounds.

Chrome strip came as standard, but you should be able to get one off fleaBay, i think they're just self adhesive.

thecount
07-05-2008, 08:38 PM
ok, thats fine. I've booked mine in for the weekend to get done - they say it only takes 2hrs.

I've just found a Tailgate strip for mine - just one German company on Ebay that does it though so I will have to be patient with the post:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CHROME-STRIP-FOR-TAILGATE-AUDI-A4-B5-AVANT_W0QQitemZ380024886688QQihZ025QQcategoryZ1037 2QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

any good? or a cheap imitation of yours?

Comand
08-05-2008, 10:53 AM
If i'm being honest, i'm not sure what % it is, i just asked them to go as dark as possible on the fronts and do the rest the same...
I think it really sets the car off, especially with the chrome window surrounds.

Chrome strip came as standard, but you should be able to get one off fleaBay, i think they're just self adhesive.

The law states that at least 70% of the light must pass through the side windows in front of the B pillar. Anything less and its illegal. The rears can be as dark as you like and obviously the front screen cant be done at all.

I used Gaurdian tints for my A class and I have to say, they did a 1st class job.

McNeill
06-08-2008, 08:18 PM
Anyone have any pics of a phantom black A4 Avant B7 with tints?

Incidently, legally the tints (windscreen and front two windows only) must allow 75% of light through. Any less is illegal.

However, between 45% and 75% its only an advisory warning.

30% - 45% is a £30 non-endorsable fixed penalty

Under 30% is a £60 fine, 30 points and an immediate prohibition on the vehicle.

elPaulio
07-08-2008, 07:57 AM
But like everything else, the advisory warning is discretionary.
An officer can still serve you with a fixed penalty as soon as you are below 75% so I wouldn't take it as gospel that this will see you alright, especially if you get done twice by the same copper!!

And if anyone does get caught and gets a fixed penalty, for the love of god, don't say that you read that between 45% and 75% would only get you an advisory as the cop will then know that you knew you were breaking the law before you got the tints and that'll probably just make matters worse!!

At the end of the day the limits are there for safety rather than keeping cops busy so stick to 75% IMO!!

Paul :biglaugh:

McNeill
07-08-2008, 08:01 AM
But like everything else, the advisory warning is discretionary.
An officer can still serve you with a fixed penalty as soon as you are below 75% so I wouldn't take it as gospel that this will see you alright, especially if you get done twice by the same copper!!

And if anyone does get caught and gets a fixed penalty, for the love of god, don't say that you read that between 45% and 75% would only get you an advisory as the cop will then know that you knew you were breaking the law before you got the tints and that'll probably just make matters worse!!

At the end of the day the limits are there for safety rather than keeping cops busy so stick to 75% IMO!!

ACPO(S) guidelines are 45% and below for prosecution. Above that is a warning.

elPaulio
07-08-2008, 08:10 AM
Important word there being "Guidelines" ;)

I suppose it all comes down to who catches you and what mood they are in.

I know a couple of traffic cops who would quite happily book their grannies for the slightest thing, but at the same time I know quite a few who would rather give words of advise followed with "but if I catch you again, I won't be so lenient!"
Thankfully the latter appear to be in the majority, but there are still a couple of a*sholes out there!!

JM85
10-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Jebus: what do you use to clean those wheels they look like brand new?