PDA

View Full Version : 2001 A4 Headlight removal/bulb replacement

a4dean
27-12-2006, 08:39 PM
Have just had a Nightmare trying to replace passenger side dipped beam bulb on my 2001 A4. Can anyone advise on easy procedure? Is it better to completely remove headlight to access bulbs? if so, How do I get The headlight out?:1zhelp:

RickT
27-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Hi there,

Have a look at this guide i have wrote.

http://www.audi-forums.com/b6-forum/41575-b6-front-headlight-tail-light-guide.html

Cheers

RicKT

RickT
27-12-2006, 08:47 PM
and the answer to your question is yes... the best way is to remove the headlight unit.. it can take a bit of time on your first go!!

Cheers

RickT

SP2 A6
01-08-2007, 01:39 PM
I know this is resurrecting an old post but is there something similar for an A6 (1999)? I need to replace a headlight lens (which costs £25 from Hella) and the ******* is quoting £500 for a whole new headlight....

ini
01-08-2007, 01:47 PM
Normal procedure is to take all the skin of your fingers, then drop the bulb on the floor. :aargh4:

RickT
01-08-2007, 07:21 PM
Normal procedure is to take all the skin of your fingers, then drop the bulb on the floor. :aargh4:

This headlights are "sealed" units, however if your careful you can take them apart simple enough.. be carful not to break it!!

In regards to a guide.. i have not seen on..

RickT

DownshiftArtist
22-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Hi there,

Have a look at this guide i have wrote.

##B6 Front Headlight & Tail light Guide! ## - Audi Forums (http://www.audi-forums.com/b6-forum/41575-b6-front-headlight-tail-light-guide.html)

Cheers

RicKT

Absolutely useless. What good is a B6 guide going to do someone with a B5? "Need help with a B5 headlight? Here's a B6!"

Sam
22-07-2013, 12:47 PM
Welcome to VWAF :biglaugh:

DownshiftArtist
22-07-2013, 12:51 PM
Welcome to VWAF :biglaugh:
Thanks! :)

Anyone actually know how to remove the headlight on a 1999.5 - 2001 B5 A4? I know theres a way to do it without taking off the bumper but no one seems to post how. I see pre-facelift guides and B6-on guides everywhere though.

Sam
22-07-2013, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Tech Articles (http://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext4.shtml)

No photos, but that should give you an idea.

DownshiftArtist
22-07-2013, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Tech Articles (http://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext4.shtml)

No photos, but that should give you an idea.

Thanks, but this is for pre-facelift B5's indicated by the "pre 99.5". Facelift models have the one-piece headlight-turn signal assembly. For some reason it's as if no one has ever removed one of those headlights before or something. Even All Data has on the pre-facelift instructions. I guess I just have to remove my front bumper every time my parking light / turn signal goes out :aargh4:

Sam
22-07-2013, 01:13 PM
Good catch! +1 internets to you Sir! (sorry!)

If you 'only' need to change a bulb you can get to it fairly easily without removing the headlight/bumper at all.

Remove the plastic snorkel and all the assorted dress up plastics and you can get your hand in there. It's not a simple job, but it's made easier by removing all the crap.

The B5.5 Passat is almost identical if that helps - there are a few guides out there for headlight bulb replacement.

DownshiftArtist
22-07-2013, 01:25 PM
Good catch! +1 internets to you Sir! (sorry!)

If you 'only' need to change a bulb you can get to it fairly easily without removing the headlight/bumper at all.

Remove the plastic snorkel and all the assorted dress up plastics and you can get your hand in there. It's not a simple job, but it's made easier by removing all the crap.

The B5.5 Passat is almost identical if that helps - there are a few guides out there for headlight bulb replacement.\

No worries, it's all that seems to be out there. Unfortunately I need to get the headlight out to replace my ignitor / ballast but I was hoping since it seems that you have to remove the headlight to change the turn signal bulb that there would be and easy way to do so. I think I may have found a way though. I'll let you know how it works out.

hunterz
18-11-2013, 05:03 PM
\

No worries, it's all that seems to be out there. Unfortunately I need to get the headlight out to replace my ignitor / ballast but I was hoping since it seems that you have to remove the headlight to change the turn signal bulb that there would be and easy way to do so. I think I may have found a way though. I'll let you know how it works out.

so how did it go i need to do mine

DownshiftArtist
18-11-2013, 05:06 PM
so how did it go i need to do mine

Unfortunately there was no way around removing the bumper. There is a bolt at the bottom of the head light that screws in facing the radiator that is just way easier to access and put back without the bumper in the way. But that's not really bad news since the front bumper comes off in minutes.

hunterz
18-11-2013, 05:12 PM
ok cheers mate do you remember how many screws are on the bumper

DownshiftArtist
18-11-2013, 05:16 PM
There's about 4 or 5 on each fender liner, one behind each liner connecting the bumper to the fender, remove the fog light grills and there's two M6 (i think) hex head bolts going up. Pull bumper off carefully (which isn't always easy) in order to disconnect the fog lights and I think that's it.

hunterz
18-11-2013, 05:29 PM
you dont happen to no how the side light bulbs come out do you are the twist fit in the housing

DownshiftArtist
18-11-2013, 05:36 PM
The socket just twists out.