PDA

View Full Version : Golf Mk 4 130 TDI

jollybodger
27-12-2006, 11:13 AM
Good Morning All,
New to the site, found it really interesting to follow so far but not had much to contribute so far - until this morning when my glow lights sign started showing! Hopefully someone will be able to offer advice. I will post my queries in the correct area later.
Cheers
Jollybodger:Blush:

chrispyg
27-12-2006, 12:19 PM
Good Morning All,
New to the site, found it really interesting to follow so far but not had much to contribute so far - until this morning when my glow lights sign started showing! Hopefully someone will be able to offer advice. I will post my queries in the correct area later.
Cheers
Jollybodger:Blush:
Has the esp light also come on as well as your glow plug light?
this can be caused by a brake light bulb being out.

regards chris

adamss24
27-12-2006, 01:07 PM
If the glow plug lights and then goes out on a cold day/morning means that the glow plugs are being energised(working) to aid cold start. It does not mean that there is a fault with the car. When it does comes while the engine is running, then there is a fault code that trips the CEL light as the glow plug lamp doubles as the engine fault light ! The glow plugs are energised(working) only when the outside temperature is below 5 C and they will stay longer on if its colder outside ! Hope this helps !

jollybodger
27-12-2006, 03:20 PM
Hi Guys,
I wasn't sure if I should be posting this eslewhere. The glow light sign came on in amber at the same time as "engine workshop" started flashing in the message centre on the dash. Car is driving smoothly and not sounding any different. Popped into my local VW dealers between visits, next time to connect me to a laptop will be 02/01/07. They're going to charge me £85 + Vat for the privilege.
been a brilliant safe and reliable motor so far (51 plate owned since new with only 49,000 miles).
Cheers
Jollybodger

adamss24
27-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Hi Guys,
I wasn't sure if I should be posting this eslewhere. The glow light sign came on in amber at the same time as "engine workshop" started flashing in the message centre on the dash. Car is driving smoothly and not sounding any different. Popped into my local VW dealers between visits, next time to connect me to a laptop will be 02/01/07. They're going to charge me £85 + Vat for the privilege.
been a brilliant safe and reliable motor so far (51 plate owned since new with only 49,000 miles).
Cheers
Jollybodger
Spend the money on a diagnostic lead and get vag-com shareware to read the codes and it will cost less than the dealer its quoting for( you will also need an old laptop for that matter) plus you will be able to check the car over and over again and won't look like a dumb *** when the dealer will charge 800 pounds + vat for a new set of injectors when you really need a set of glow plugs worth 40 quid at the local Halfords or 1200 pounds + VAT for a new turbocharger instead of 70 pounds Charge pressure control valve !!!! Spend couple of hours on www.tdiforum.com reading the FAQ and you might be able to fix most of the little jobs without having to pay 105 pounds per hour labour at the dealer.

jollybodger
27-12-2006, 07:38 PM
Thanks for that Adamss24, I will see what I can source and have a play.

RickT
27-12-2006, 08:31 PM
Hello and Welcome to the forum!

Also have a read of this post i put up a few days ago regarding a VAG-COM.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...ead.php?t=3581 (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3581)

Cheers

RickT