PDA

View Full Version : Drivers door electrical fault

phoenix9705
05-05-2008, 12:21 PM
Hi there newbie signing in :biglaugh:

I've just bought a Passat Estate 98 1.8 20V SE 5d (AC) and the drivers door is not working the window will not go down, mirrios will not move and when you lock the car from this side it only locks the drivers door. :confused:

is there any basic checks i can do before taking it to the garage and end up costing ££££££'s

Thanks in advance.:Blush:

Digidick
05-05-2008, 01:19 PM
Sounds like that door is not plugged into the rest of the car. You might need to remove the door pannel and see if something needs plugging back in. Not sure if there is one big plug that gives power to the door though.

What happens when you use the remote central locking?? Is that the only door not to lock or does the car not even lock as that might be the starting point from which the central locking works.

Here is a handy link showing you how to remove the door panel.
http://www.taligentx.com/passat/images/photo.php?photo=333&u=26|11|...

andyha2000
08-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Check your passenger side footwell carpet to see if its wet. It may be that the CCM ( covenience control module) has been subject to some water getting to it. I had a similar problem on mine, the ccm was soaking and some of the wires that run to it from the loom had oxidized up. Once I'd cleaned, dried and made good a couple of faulty connections everything started working again.

Easyrider
09-05-2008, 11:00 AM
Hi all, likewise a newbie

Think I've got the same problem with the CCM, keyfob, central locking not working and elec windows dead, although pax carpet seems dry! Two VW garages have said a big wedge required to fix, £500-600 just to remove the carpets and front seat!

So andyha2000 it looks like there could be hope for a cheaper solution but is there an easy way to get at the CCM and under which part of the carpet is it as an auto electrician contact said its under the front seat?

Anyway any help to get to this well designed site of the CCM much appreciated as the cost of VW repairing the car would mean its cheaper to consign an otherwise superb motor, with new cambelt & service, to ''breaking for spares''!

Also if I have to refit a replacement unit I guess it will need programming to my keys so does this have to be done by VW or are there Auto electricians who can do this?

Thanks

Easyrider
09-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Cracked it! A lot of tugging and got carpet clear enough to get the box with the CCM out. Its about midway back from the front and only about 15-20 cms in from the door side. Area was pretty damp but the box was dry and connections looked OK.
Managed to find a visiting Auto electrician who can fit and reprogramme a new CCM as he thinks that although the box looks OK the symptoms suggest its kaputt.

Well keep fingers crossed I can get the problem sorted soon without too much cost!

Take care

andyha2000
09-05-2008, 04:34 PM
The CCM doesn't actually control the immobiliser, if you source a new one it should plug straight in, should get away with just programming the keyfobs for the central locking.

However the units are near on indestructible and I would be suprised if yours is toasted, especially as it sounds like yours was okay. Mine was absolutely soaked and after drying out and having to resolder wires to the actual board, worked fine.

The other problem I had was that under the door sill cover where the wiring loom is, was damp as well. There will be a collection of approx 4-5 thick red cables that join together, these has oxidized on mine and had actually fractured so the CCM was struggling to get any power at all. I spent about an hour cleaning and resoldering this joint and various others within the loom - VW seem to have thrived on using poor connectors.

After I had done all this and reconnected the battery, my interior lights, windows, central locking, petrol filler cap, mirrors etc all started working again. It does take a bit of patience but a lot of the work can be done yourself as long as your careful and the savings are there to be made.

I too was looking at the prospect of having to ship the car on, but it all works fine now - if you want any more info just drop me a line, hope some of this is of help.

Easyrider
11-05-2008, 06:37 PM
Thanks for your reply andyha2000.

Won't have much time this week to check out the wiring but sounds encouraging.

Cheers