PDA

View Full Version : Rear axle bushing woes

mobitune
04-05-2008, 09:54 PM
Today I think I used every swear word known to man when I tried replacing the rear axle bushings on my 52 plate gt tdi.

1st up, I wrecked the handbrake cable clips on the trailing arm, secondly after removing the bolts and dropping the axle back a bit (had to remove the plastic wheel arch guards and mudflaps - 15 screws on each side - to get at the bolts even though there is no mention of this in the Haynes manual), I find the current bushings have been replaced before by some halfwit who hadn't a clue what they were doing... the lug which is meant to go to 7 o'clock position (as you view the trailing arm on the offside) was sitting at 12 o'clock and on the opposite side was at around 9 o'clock.. - bingo I think, i've found the reason for the knocking in the rear suspension and the reason for the handling instablity when on rough ground.

Ok, now for the replacement... lol... the damn things must be rusted solid, after 30-40 mins prigging about hammering and poking around - oh and another session of swearing I decide the only thing to do is reassemble the car and take it to a garage on Tuesday :(

So now I'm gonna have to pay a garage to do it, and im out of pocket £60+vat for the bushing installation tool to boot.

Not a good day at all! - oh well, I got it washed and polished after I got it rebuilt.