PDA

View Full Version : Secondary Car Alarm

andysuth
26-12-2006, 02:52 PM
Hi,

Me again, with another daft question.

Currently my Audi A4 1.9tdi has a factory fitted alarm and immobiliser, which work great, but I want to have a two-way alarm so that when I can't see my car or hear outside, I can know if it is interfered with.

However, I don't really want the remote central locking and immobiliser systems fitted that come with some 2-way alarms, so I'd like to keep the factory fitted alarm.

Is it possible to fit a two way system either to the A4 existing alarm, or have it operating in tandem with the existing alarm?

has anyone had any experience with this?

-Andy

RickT
27-12-2006, 12:52 AM
i have heard in the past the alarms on the VAG cars are meant to be tamper proof.. HOWEVER anything is possible..

my knowledge of alarms to be honest is very slim... however a few years back my mate fitted one of the notifcation 2-way alarms and the alerting ECU was sperate to the main alarm ECU, so he was able to install the notification section of the alarm on the power lead to the siren. so once the siren was actived the power flowed through the nofication box/reply which sent a signal to the key fob stating alarm active.

Alarms have come along way since then and now have zones which alert to a fob which shows you which area of the car is affected, as said above this one we did a few years ago was when they had just come out and simply sent a message to the fob stating alarm active. It did the job as if the alarm is going off its going off!!!!!!! irelevant which zone!!

Have a look at the below and maybe contact a supplier/stockist for some further advice.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KEYLESS-ENTRY-2-WAY-CAR-ALARM-REMOTE-START-2007-MODEL_W0QQitemZ200061095859QQihZ010QQcategoryZ7532 9QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Cheers

RiCKT

andysuth
27-12-2006, 01:17 AM
Interesting.

I do think that all the alarms on ebay have a combined two way ECU and Main unit.

There is one for sale which is quite affordable, maybe I could just have it set up to the "Siren", trouble is, the only time I set my alarm off (to test if internal sensors worked) I thought it was the Car Horn that was the siren.

I don't fancy having the 2-way alert me whenever I accidentally press car horn (or encourage old ladies to cross the road faster!).

I might just buy it and see how I get on. Even if I just have the shock sensor on and the rest of the zones attatched to the internal lighting, it might be good enough. After all, this is supplimentary to the factory alarm and immobiliser, it will add to security just by being there.

-AS

RickT
27-12-2006, 01:35 AM
On the B6 its a differnet siren to the alarm...

which year you got?? B5,B6,B7? The B5's were on the horn i think...

Cheers

RicKT

andysuth
27-12-2006, 01:44 AM
Errr, A4, 1.9TDi, 1998 (registered february), 110BHP (I think...)

Anywhere I could find out more about the model?

-AS

RickT
27-12-2006, 01:52 AM
thats a B5...1997 to 2001.

the B6 is 2001 to 2005..

and B7 is 2005 onwards..

so the alarm will be via the horn then..

Cheers

RickT

RickT
27-12-2006, 01:53 AM
saying that... the B5 was 1996-2001

Cheers

RickT

andysuth
27-12-2006, 02:07 AM
Well I suppose I could find the relay for the alarm sounding the horn and junction before it gets to the alarm.

Haynes manual is unusually helpful on the subject, "If there is a problem with the Alarm, go to a main dealer as they have a special diagnostic tool!"

-Cheers Messrs Haynes, you have really surpassed yourself this time.

I'll look into it tomorrow, whilst the Insurance companies tell me "L13" is really high risk area for car crime, I'm not sure my neighbours would appreciate me setting off the car alarm at 1am.

-AS

andysuth
29-12-2006, 12:43 AM
Anyone know where the main alarm unit is on the Audi A4 B5 1.9TDi 110?

Cheers,

-Andy