PDA

View Full Version : Polo GT suddenly wont start

biggles0509
26-12-2006, 12:17 PM
My 1993 Polo GT (only had it 2 weeks) has suddenly decided not to start. Even towing it in 2nd gear behind my dads car didnt cause it to even fire once.
All I have done to it is cleaned the engine bay and dismantled and cleaned the air filter housing (primarilly to see if the box of tricks containing the sensor would come off the air filter housing if I subsequently fit a better induction system) and it worked fine for 10 days after that. Was running really sweet during that time.
Only observations:
There was a momentary noise from the starter once the engine had started although starting was not a problem. I only mention this as I have read that faulty starter can give wrong signal to ECU.
Any bright ideas as my dad and I are at a loss.
Thanks

Boardboy
26-12-2006, 01:15 PM
Hi biggles0509 if you've tried towing it behind your dads car and it does not start you can rule out the starter. Check to see if you've got a spark at one of the plugs. If not back track to the distrubter then the coil. If you've been trying to start it also check if you are getting fuel.
regards Boardboy

biggles0509
26-12-2006, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the reply Boardboy.
Yes we have spark and fuel - (first things we checked for).
Can only think it is a sensor lying to the ECU or an imobilisor fault or possibly damp in the electrics somewhere. (Was mega damp foggy when it first wouldnt start,
How can you check the sensors without investing in mega expensive diagnostic kit and is it poss to bypass the imobilisor?
Am currently cleaning all the earths as have read that iffy earths can cause bogus messages going to the ECU. (who says computers are smart!!!)
Also making sure imobilisor, ECU and distributor are bone dry.
Any further suggestions welcome.

biggles0509
26-12-2006, 05:20 PM
Done all that and fully charged up the battery but still no joy. Even took the rocker box cover off to check cam was rotating ie that cam belt was not snapped.
Am at a loss now. Will have to bite the bullet and get a mobile tuning bloke (at no doubt great expense) to come and check it over.

biggles0509
27-12-2006, 01:10 PM
Man with mobile diagnostic kit arriving at 3pm. Will let you know what outcome is.

biggles0509
27-12-2006, 05:52 PM
Sorted.
All it was despite there being a spark was the HT lead to the coil was breaking down due to old age. It also didnt help that the plugs were not the right ones.
Expensive set of plugs and leads at £57 + vat but hey - at least its sorted.
A lesson to be learnt though - Just because you have a spark at the plugs do not asume it is good enough to ignite the fuel.

Boardboy
28-12-2006, 10:58 AM
Glad you got it sorted
Regards Boardboy