PDA

View Full Version : T4 2.4d starts ok on full tank

chewy99
04-05-2008, 06:01 AM
Hello, my t4 2.4d starts fine when the tank is full but once it starts getting below half a tank it has trouble cold starting.

Any ideas what might be going on appreciated. thanks.

chewy99
07-05-2008, 12:42 AM
So when the tank is full it will start fine - even when its cold, doesn't even need the glowplugs.

But once it drops below half a tank it eventually wont cold start at all and needs to be roll started to get it going. Then drive straight to a servo and fill the tank then its fine again.

Maybe air getting into the fuel lines?? and the full tank provides enough pressure to keep it out?

Any thougths appreciated as I'm really not sure as to what I should be looking for.

Cheers

chewy99
12-05-2008, 11:57 PM
Surely some of you knowledgable folks have some ideas what could be the problem :(

No problems at all if tank is full - but if I let it drop to half a tank or less it wont start again. Seems like it needs the weight / pressure of a full tank - what might cause that? air leak? bad fuel pump, any ideas at all appreciated. thanks

toyink
29-07-2008, 11:12 PM
Hi chewy, have you solved your problem yet? When I had this problem years ago with an Audi 100td it turned out to be the a hairline crack on the fuel pick up pipe in the tank. I had to remove it from the tank to even see it was there. Maybe this'll help.

chewy99
30-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Thanks toyink. Haven't worked it out yet just been keeping the tank full.